Guests cannot vote 
Robert
post Oct 8 2018, 06:29 AM
Post #1

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

As suggested by Falconer_1 which year/season of Prisoner did you prefer?

Please let us know which year you voted for and why.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Oct 8 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 20,871

1980 for me. Of course many viewers will have different opinions, but I think in 1980 the show really began to step into its stride. Some really good story lines, characters and in particular, the Lizzie, Bea and Dorr trio really gelling. All Prisoner years had their ups and downs (the K. Vincent strory line being a bit monotonous for me), but I feel 1980 really shone.
I think it also stands out as, in my view, the following year, 1981, I felt was disappointing in its own way. It never seemed to get going with momentum, which only seemed to shine a torch on just how good the prior year was. And indeed, may have contributed to 1982 also being a great, return-to-form year, and one which may well see many votes as contributors' own personal favourite.

+Quote Post
g-block
post Oct 8 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 136

1980 all the way.

This season really set up the show and there was many memorable storylines and characters for me.

1982 would be a close second.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 8 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I actually found it too hard to pick only one as I generally like 1982 onwards about the same!

+Quote Post
Lillyivimia
post Oct 8 2018, 01:03 PM
Post #5

Looking Into The Abyss
Group Icon

Group: Governor
Member No.: 618

I do find this a particularly difficult one to vote for and so I, too, voted for no particular year. I was never really cognizant of the individual years and simply watched (and re-watched) as an ongoing show and it's only recently, really, that I was aware of the series being shown in seasons in Oz and so therefore having their own individual flavours. That's one reason, but it's also the fact that there are delights to be had in all seasons for me. I enjoyed Joan's first year, Sandy and Kate's tenure, Nola's dominance, Sonia's reign, Rita's arrival - lots of highlights I actively look forward to when I do a re-watch and a lot of them from different years. So, for me, it's a very difficult choice to narrow down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Oct 8 2018, 01:23 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 11,119

I have gone 1984, although I could easily have just gone the ‘no particular year’ option as I tend to agree with a lot of the points already made.

But for me 1984 was when I really first got stuck in (technically my first episodes were late 1983, but it was the 1984 run where I really got hooked long term).

As I said in another thread recently, I rattled through the 1984 season in six weeks, which is testament to how I just wanted more and more. This is unlike 83 and 85, as I stopped and started a lot through watching 1983 and recently I have got into a bit of a rut in the 1985 episodes.

I loved the Sonia arc especially the Sydney episodes. I really liked the whole stuff with Rick Manning, Eddie Stevens and the bent cops Mears and Birmingham. It did potentially fade off near the end, no thanks to awful characters such as Marlene and the abysmal Phil Cleary, but on the whole a great year.

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Oct 8 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (PavlovsDog @ Oct 8 2018, 02:23 PM) *
I have gone 1984, although I could easily have just gone the ‘no particular year’ option as I tend to agree with a lot of the points already made.

But for me 1984 was when I really first got stuck in (technically my first episodes were late 1983, but it was the 1984 run where I really got hooked long term).

As I said in another thread recently, I rattled through the 1984 season in six weeks, which is testament to how I just wanted more and more. This is unlike 83 and 85, as I stopped and started a lot through watching 1983 and recently I have got into a bit of a rut in the 1985 episodes.

I loved the Sonia arc especially the Sydney episodes. I really liked the whole stuff with Rick Manning, Eddie Stevens and the bent cops Mears and Birmingham. It did potentially fade off near the end, no thanks to awful characters such as Marlene and the abysmal Phil Cleary, but on the whole a great year.

Good points. I was going to add it in my reply, that '84 was my second favourite, and the period after Donovan left, with Manning, Kurt, and Bobbie and Sonia on the run, around the mid 400s (I think), was amongst my favourite era and I think the last great period for the show. I felt it nose dived a lot when Manning, Sonia etc left, and the replacements like Heather, Dennis, Cleary etc arrived.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 8 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

1982 for me. Brilliant storylines, characters and scripts.

+Quote Post
Dr Peterson
post Oct 8 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,401

Will be interesting to see if there are some notable differences in the result this time. It's like someone said in another thread that rewatching Prisoner will make you appreciate other characters more (or years?) than you did the the last time you watched it.

http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/f...?showtopic=3136

That said my vote is still on 1982 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsupfi8.gif) More or less all my favourite characters participate in this year. I miss Lou Kelly but otherwise what an amazing year with strong characters and actors.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 8 2018, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Good find there Dr P (at least that poll was a tiny bit different as you could pick as many as you wanted)...I see I said 1982 in that one as my top year but now find it too hard to only pick one. i would probably rank 1985 higher now too. I guess many only think of Barnhurst 5 for that year but a lot of good things still happened.

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Oct 9 2018, 07:29 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Let us hope we get 4X the votes in this poll, as was the case 6 years ago, in the prior poll that Dr. P linked.

+Quote Post
Lillyivimia
post Oct 9 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Looking Into The Abyss
Group Icon

Group: Governor
Member No.: 618

QUOTE (Falconer_1 @ Oct 9 2018, 08:29 AM) *
Let us hope we get 4X the votes in this poll, as was the case 6 years ago, in the prior poll that Dr. P linked.

There still seem to be two or three voters who haven't had the simple courtesy to make a post, explaining why they voted they did. Are we really that scary? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Oct 9 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

As will be no surprise to anybody, I've gone for 1980.

The series had really hit it's stride after an opening year which struggled at times (particularly in the middle). In 1980 you could immediately feel the confidence that now existed in the series, it suddenly felt like they knew what they were doing in a way that they didn't for much of 1979.

It had some of the best storylines, even terrible acting from the likes of Bernadette Gibson (Vivienne Williams) and Susan Howarth (Gail Summers) could be forgiven because the storylines themselves were still good. Some pretty ambitious location work was also embarked on with things like the factory storyline.

I really liked the stability of the main cast, with Judy being the only significant introduction and she being made very early into the season. The Bea, Lizzie and Doreen gang (which actually didn't really exist for the first year) was still quite fresh and it felt natural for them to take the lead in the most of the storylines. The officer side of things was similarly entertaining, with greatness from Jim and Vera, Meg being...well Meg and even Erica got a rare extra curricular storyline.

Excellent short term/supporting roles too...we finally get to see a little more of Colleen and Joyce, and we had Paul Reid, Jock Stewart, Helen Smart, Geoff Butler etc etc.

Truly a stonking year. Oh, and did I mention it felt cosy and homely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Only award it doesn't quite win for me is the end of season cliffhanger, that goes to 1982 which I think is a close second for best year. 1982 was very much a year of two halves. It started the year with what had been the main Bea-Lizzie-Doreen-Judy group effectively sidelined and the show being dominated by Sandy, Marie and Kate. This was the first time ever that new characters had been allowed to own the show in such a way, and was a worthwhile experiment for the years to come. It also was brilliantly executed and gripping viewing. After a 1981 which at times could feel a little stale (perhaps because the 1980 setup which they were largely still in was just a bit too cosy a place to be for too long). Then just when it looked like normality had returned as all 3 characters were gone and the old guard were firmly back they go and introduce Joan which changes the series forever. The second half of the year darted off in a new direction again and was a huge act to follow after the brilliant opening half, but it followed well and set in play the Bea-Joan feud which was to dominate the series for the next year. And whatever I think about 1980 being slightly better overall, I have to concede that nothing topped the fire for end of year cliffhangers.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Oct 9 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 11,119

Great review, cwathen, but I feel that you have missed out a crucially excellent 1980 character in Kay White. She should have been a longer term prisoner, maybe Sandy Gore only wanted a short term role.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 9 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,036

I voted for 1985 which might be an unpopular choice but it was one of my favourites. The Ruth Ballinger episodes ending in the siege (550-552) are some of my favourite episodes of the entire series. It was close between 1984 and 1985 really as I love Myra Desmond's era but went for 1985 as it gets a hard time from fans at times when I don't think it was bad at all. OK 553-576 wasn't a great period but people forget this is a very small part of 1985 when the season is 80+ episodes. It started well and was great up to the end of the siege. And it ended well with Eve Wlder and Reb's return and the arrival of Rita Connors.

+Quote Post
Screwbaiter
post Oct 10 2018, 07:20 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 933

Tough one!
My vote in the end was for 1984 because, as a whole run, I think it was strongest. It featured a lot of great characters and was a breath of fresh air after the Bea years.
My second place vote would be for 1981, followed by 1982.

Hmmm... maybe 1980 would be my second choice. It did have the factory in it.... hmmmm....

+Quote Post
mattdriver73
post Oct 10 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 222

QUOTE (Screwbaiter @ Oct 10 2018, 08:20 AM) *
Tough one!
My vote in the end was for 1984 because, as a whole run, I think it was strongest. It featured a lot of great characters and was a breath of fresh air after the Bea years.
My second place vote would be for 1981, followed by 1982.

Hmmm... maybe 1980 would be my second choice. It did have the factory in it.... hmmmm....

Prisoner seems to be a series where I generally enjoyed the even number years more than the odd number years. Similar to the Star Trek films. My favourite year is 1982 as the first half of the year gave us new and exciting characters including Dr Peterson, Sandy and of course Marie winters longest stint. The only quiet spell was the ten or so episodes before Joan arrived which gave Bea her first real enemy and the show a true long term bent screw. We also had a long final stint from Chrissie plus the greatest year end cliffhanger of all time! I even liked Janet Conway although that puts me in a minority. Not forgetting a final appearance from the scariest ever character Jock Stewart.

1980 and 1984 were also strong years but the best is definately 1982. If the series had retained the 1982 quality until 1986 Prisoner would have been so much better overall.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 10 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 9 2018, 10:53 PM) *
I voted for 1985 which might be an unpopular choice but it was one of my favourites.

And we got Queenie Marshall lol

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Oct 10 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

QUOTE (PavlovsDog @ Oct 9 2018, 07:37 PM) *
Great review, cwathen, but I feel that you have missed out a crucially excellent 1980 character in Kay White. She should have been a longer term prisoner, maybe Sandy Gore only wanted a short term role.

Absolutely, Kay White is also one of the greats. As are doubtless many more that I missed out, it's probably that I'm currently rewatching 1980 and have only get to episode 114 so far so the earlier part of the season is much fresher in my mind.

What has surprised me this time around is how much I dislike Sharon. I don't really feel anything sympathy or empathy for her at all, she's just an annoying brat and Judy is well shot of her. I don't really remember really noticing it so much on previous viewings, but this time she can't fall down those stairs quickly enough for me.

Wasn't it documented that originally Sharon was supposed to be the long term character and Judy was supposed to die in her operation? Good job they didn't go with that.

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Oct 12 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Interesting how Matt mentioned how he enjoyed the show more in even number years. When I think about it, I kind of feel the same, with the only exception being '86.

Cwathen commented on Sharon. Sentiments I also broadly agree with. I also didn't like the cold and unpleasant (to me) character of Terri, either, from '85.

16 votes thus far and (I think) 11 of those voters commenting on their choice. To the other 5 (thus far): please feel free to add reason why you made your particular choice. Indeed, one mysterious voter (unless I've read the thread a bit quickly) plumped for '83. Interesting choice. Any particular reasons why? What did you enjoy most about '83? Ditto to the voter who went for '79?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 11:25 PM