Rating 4 V

Robert
post Jul 31 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

I know I have created a thread about the continuity errors BUT I have also noticed times when things have been very correct.
So how often did Prisoner get the continuity of things better than you would expect?

One example is Hazel Kent's husband was at least played by the same actor each time he turned up AND the kids too. Which is a rarity for the show as the occasions were far apart from each other. (although, worth a mention, his second name changed spelling on one occasion). P.S. I know Hazel wasn't ever married to George but would it be normal for the children to be called Kent in that era? Is the actress who plays the daughter related to Wally Wallace (Alan)?

Another one, Lexie not liking mash potato I think carried on through her time?

When we get a few I will put a list in this first post.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Jul 31 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 11,119

I can’t pass up a chance to mention Marge Briggs, played by Christine Best.

Very rare that an actress would be cast as a character in Episode 419 and then the same actress plays the same character in Episode 534.

+Quote Post
The Bear
post Jul 31 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 56

Ettie recognizing Pat Slattery - acknowledging the fact that the actress earlier played a Barnhurst Officer.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Jul 31 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,830

It’s often down to the availability of the actors when required. Also how satisfied the producers had been with earlier performances. Additionally done actors may turn down a return to the show possibly not having enjoyed the previous experience or unable to negotiate financial terms.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 1 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Aug 1 2018, 12:15 AM) *
It’s often down to the availability of the actors when required. Also how satisfied the producers had been with earlier performances. Additionally done actors may turn down a return to the show possibly not having enjoyed the previous experience or unable to negotiate financial terms.

I know, i think we are aware of all these reasons - it isn't meant as a dig to the show/actors. Do you have any good continuity examples you can give?

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Aug 1 2018, 03:05 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 11,119

There is an interesting, to me at least, situation where bad continuity meets good continuity regarding Myra Desmond.

Back in the 150's, Desmond claims she bought a bookshop with her husband's insurance money, implying she was widowed.

In the episode where she kills her husband, early in that episode she mentions using the money from the sale of the bookshop.

So you have good continuity where the bookshop is referenced with a nearly 300 episode gap. But you have bad continuity, because clearly Bill Desmond had not died at the point she mentioned the insurance.

+Quote Post
ste326
post Aug 1 2018, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,684

I am sure there was a thread about this already because I contributed to it a few weeks back lol

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 1 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (ste326 @ Aug 1 2018, 11:58 AM) *
I am sure there was a thread about this already because I contributed to it a few weeks back lol

It was brought up in another thread and I mentioned about starting a proper one..and here it is.

If my memory is correct - doesn't Judy's father's Will coming through actually get done in a realistic time frame?

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Aug 12 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (PavlovsDog @ Aug 1 2018, 04:05 AM) *
There is an interesting, to me at least, situation where bad continuity meets good continuity regarding Myra Desmond.

Back in the 150's, Desmond claims she bought a bookshop with her husband's insurance money, implying she was widowed.

In the episode where she kills her husband, early in that episode she mentions using the money from the sale of the bookshop.

So you have good continuity where the bookshop is referenced with a nearly 300 episode gap. But you have bad continuity, because clearly Bill Desmond had not died at the point she mentioned the insurance.

Could "old man" have referred to her father as opposed to her husband?

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Aug 12 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

More of a technical example, but in a late episode when Joan sets off the fire alarm by smashing a break glass box you can see in a closeup that the box had been installed in 1983 which would fit in with when Wentworth was rebuilt after the fire.

+Quote Post
ste326
post Aug 12 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,684

QUOTE (Robert @ Aug 1 2018, 02:47 PM) *
If my memory is correct - doesn't Judy's father's Will coming through actually get done in a realistic time frame?

Yeah it did happen in a realistic time frame. It's good they remembered to complete the story

+Quote Post
Smash
post Aug 13 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 14,995

Another character continuity one is Tracey Morris being at Barnhurst when Bea was sent there, although she didn't really do a lot. There were several characters sent to Blackmoor, we didn't even see one when Rita was abriptly transferred there, though the show was nearing it's conclusion by thens o perhaps there wasn't money/scope to bring anyone back from the old days. Seeing Ruth Ballinger would have been a treat. Or Marie Winter, as a nod to the old days.

+Quote Post
The Bear
post Aug 13 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 56

Margo wearing the green Barnhurst uniform when she turned up at the Halfway House on the run and referencing Officer Roberts.

Ettie talking to Lionel Fellowes about Brenda Hewitt, who she would have met in Barnhurst.

Lizzie tells Bea the names of her children in 1980 and one of them was indeed Arthur, who turned up a few years later. Usually, they'd have got this wrong as they were pretty poor on name continuity.

Helen Smart recognises Glynnis Ladd and it's said she worked at Doris's. Could be a reference to the Doris who ran the massage parlour Judy worked at but maybe just a coincidence though.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 14 2018, 12:40 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Bea wearing a blue shirt in her flashback talking to Debbie which could show it was a while ago with a slightly different prisoner uniform. Kinda wish they'd kept that blue look as I much prefer it to rancid yellow!
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/hCB2Fp/2_beas_shirt.jpg)

Joan's hair in her flashback to Audrey looked realistic that it would look like that in that era.
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/fHDtMU/445_joans_flashback.jpg)

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Aug 14 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

QUOTE (Robert @ Aug 14 2018, 01:40 AM) *
Bea wearing a blue shirt in her flashback talking to Debbie which could show it was a while ago with a slightly different prisoner uniform. Kinda wish they'd kept that blue look as I much prefer it to rancid yellow!
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/hCB2Fp/2_beas_shirt.jpg)

I think this was achieved by just wearing an officer's shirt under the denims to create a cheap and cheerful 'old uniform'. Although effective, I'm not sure how necessary it was - it was only a flashback to 2 years previously. It would have been perfectly credible for the uniforms to have been the same.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 14 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (cwathen @ Aug 14 2018, 06:32 PM) *
I think this was achieved by just wearing an officer's shirt under the denims to create a cheap and cheerful 'old uniform'.

Yes, no expense spared by Grundy of course.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Aug 14 2018, 08:32 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (cwathen @ Aug 14 2018, 06:32 PM) *
I think this was achieved by just wearing an officer's shirt under the denims to create a cheap and cheerful 'old uniform'. Although effective, I'm not sure how necessary it was - it was only a flashback to 2 years previously. It would have been perfectly credible for the uniforms to have been the same.

In the flashback of Bea being told that she can't go to Debbie's funeral, she is wearing the yellow shirt that is in use when these episodes are "current" so it does seem a bit odd for them to show this "old" uniform in the other flashback.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 14 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Oh yeah! Oh well...how quickly after that visit did she die I wonder?

+Quote Post
Robert
post Oct 23 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Just watched episode 384 and think it is worth mentioning the good continuity that they actually used Betty Collins (original actress too) to ring the cops over the screaming and yelling! She was last seen almost 30 episodes ago and just gets a 15 second scene!! Would she have come in just to do that?

Her first time seen in episode 349 (then to 355)
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/bSuCQq/betty-collins-349.jpg)

Episode 384 of her ringing the police
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/kqzOWV/betty-collins-384.jpg)

Of course, with one good continuity you get a one bad continuity as the same actress played a neighbour before who even says the same things about giving the house a chance etc! Almost made me wonder if they planned the story to happen at that halfway house but then changed their minds.

Thelma Turner in episode 292
(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/hzTvdA/thelma-turner-292.jpg)

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Nov 7 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,871

Whilst not strictly continuity, I noticed a nice touch in episode 20, which I watch last night. When Karen first learns of Frankie's shooting, it is via a radio which she picks up in her cell. Anyway, the announcer mentions the shooting took place in Canterbury. Frankie was 'shot' on the corner of 'Through Rd' and 'Quinton Rd', which technically is in the district of CamberWell, but literally (and I mean literally it's so close) right next to Canterbury. So close, back in '79 the district areas may have been even more blurred. I thought it was cool how the radio announcer described the area where Frankie went down, and that, to all intents and purposes, was indeed where it was filmed.

This post has been edited by Falconer_1: Nov 7 2018, 02:49 PM

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Nov 8 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (The Bear @ Aug 13 2018, 11:45 PM) *
Margo wearing the green Barnhurst uniform when she turned up at the Halfway House on the run and referencing Officer Roberts.

Nora is also wearing this uniform when the Barnhurst prisoners arrive in 537. Maybe because she had been inside for the last 23 years, she had no civvies?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2018 - 12:22 PM