Sons & Daughters - General Discussion
PavlovsDog
post Mar 23 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #501

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 11,119

QUOTE (Lex82 @ Mar 23 2018, 09:48 PM) *
Does this include the hilarious ending where she is on the guy's motorbike and does a really camp scream?

Yes, that was the 3rd one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Apr 2 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #502

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,547

That's me done and dusted all over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) and i cried during the last episode it's always Fiona's line "have a wonderful life" that's does it.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Apr 16 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #503

Group Icon

When I get to the end myself, I am planning on doing a Top Ten (or even maybe 20) of my most favourite and of my least favourite characters throughout the whole series.

An instant entry at this stage to the worst list will be Bjorn Nillsen, what a horrendous, cliched caricature he really is. To be fair, he has only been in 2/3 episodes so far in my watching, so I guess he has a bit of time to redeem himself, but I suspect it is more likely he will piss me off even more and firmly entrench his position in the bad list.

Andrew Green is doing his level best to make that group too. Up until recently, Andy was a character I had no strong opinion on either way, he was just there making up the numbers in many ways.

Suddenly he goes on a cruise for a few weeks, comes back looking like he stepped off an episode of Miami Vice and thinking he is the second coming of Peter Stringfellow. I suspect we will eventually discover he was badly hurt by that blind chick, as he was pretty cagey about what happened when he was asked about her whereabouts. But if he keeps this act up, I can see him comfortably cracking a Top Ten of twats list.

One big shock to me is how much I am enjoying Janice. When I first remember watching the show back in the 80's/90's on regional ITV, I remember disliking her. Although that would have been a bit further on, as my earliest memories were more of the period when Ginny was in it, Caroline was held in a mental hospital, a gym was the centre of a lot of characters and storylines and eventually through to when Pamela arrived in the show.

+Quote Post
Lillyivimia
post Apr 16 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #504

Looking Into The Abyss
Group Icon

Group: Governor
Member No.: 618

QUOTE (PavlovsDog @ Apr 16 2018, 12:38 PM) *
One big shock to me is how much I am enjoying Janice. When I first remember watching the show back in the 80's/90's on regional ITV, I remember disliking her. Although that would have been a bit further on, as my earliest memories were more of the period when Ginny was in it, Caroline was held in a mental hospital, a gym was the centre of a lot of characters and storylines and eventually through to when Pamela arrived in the show.

I really liked Janice. One of my favourite characters of the latter part of the show. What did it for me, really, was that she was anything but the hard, arrogant person she showed herself to be. Beneath the surface (and not that far beneath if you scratched hard enough) was a fairly vulnerable young woman, damaged by her upbringing and unaware of how much her father's hypocrisy hijacked her true personality. Her devotion to those she loved - particularly Fiona - was very commendable. Crucially, though, she was comedic in a very natural way. As with early Charlie (where the joke was usually at her expense), the nature of this changed as Janice became more 'human' (for want of a better word).

+Quote Post
Ziggz
post Apr 16 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #505

Group Icon

Member No.: 54

Where's everyone watching this, Youtube or dvds?

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Apr 16 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #506

Group Icon

QUOTE (Ziggz @ Apr 16 2018, 11:30 PM) *
Where's everyone watching this, Youtube or dvds?

YouTube for me

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Apr 17 2018, 08:09 AM
Post #507

Group Icon

It depended on the storyline whether I liked Janice, the silly one with her changing image and trying to challenge Andy was just silly even John the continuity announcer couldn't hold back his distain for these episodes.

Andy never really had a decent storyline he just seemed to latch onto other characters stories and be the third man.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Apr 17 2018, 09:50 AM
Post #508

Group Icon

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Apr 17 2018, 09:09 AM) *
It depended on the storyline whether I liked Janice, the silly one with her changing image and trying to challenge Andy was just silly even John the continuity announcer couldn't hold back his distain for these episodes.

Andy never really had a decent storyline he just seemed to latch onto other characters stories and be the third man.

I guess there is no harm in having characters like that as you always need ‘bodies’, you can’t have entire episodes or storylines solely based on the top characters. In some ways, I would argue that David and Gordon also went through long phases where they were ‘just there’ and didn’t really have as many storylines centered around them. Irene arguably falls into this category as well.

The problem with that though is that you tend to focus more on the negative aspects and gloss over the positives. So when Andy had his little temper tantrums, you tend to associate him as a poor/bad character because the more positive aspects of his character are not particularly interesting or relevant and don’t really outweigh the bad stuff.

QUOTE (ThunderLightningStrike @ Dec 2 2011, 11:38 PM) *
05. NEVILLE CURTIS - he didn't stick around for long (thankfully) but he managed to annoy me a great deal in that time. Just a complete twit. God knows what it was that Janice saw in him.

I apologise in advance for bumping a 6+ year old post that is also very long. Not even sure if the poster still looks at this section, but I just was curious about having Neville Curtis in the worst list but not putting the awful Owen Brooke in there.

Neville was everything you described and I was quite pleased when he departed, however it was only about 10-15 episodes later that we got lumbered with another abysmal love interest for Janice in the shape of Owen. He was just a terrible character with no redeeming qualities at all. I know I am only about 8-10 episodes from him leaving in my viewing and I can't wait!

Drifting a bit off topic, I'm not sure I agreed with the writers trying to pair Janice off with a similar 'geeky' type, for want of a better description. I think an opposite attracts thing might have worked better, there were early hints she would hit it off with Wayne but that never came to anything once Susan came back a few episodes after Janice arrived. I am aware there is a brief something or other with a biker played by the actor who played Bongo in Prisoner/Scully in Neighbours, but I haven't seen these episodes yet and I that I think is still a fair way off.

+Quote Post
beaspress
post May 8 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #509

Group Icon

Member No.: 549

As we know, Eurovision is taking place this coming week. I've been getting in the mood by listening back to songs from years gone by. Belgian duo Nicole and Hugo took glorious last place in 1973 with "Baby, Baby". However, I was rather surprised when YouTube pointed me in the direction of this particular recording of theirs from 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_nw-W6_40

Enjoy!!

+Quote Post
Lex82
post May 8 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #510

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

Agree with PavlovsDog about how Jeff's storyline could've been very good if played by a better actor. Imagine if the actor who had played Dodge in Home and Away had been cast as Jeff!

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post May 8 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #511

Group Icon

QUOTE (Lex82 @ May 8 2018, 09:41 PM) *
Agree with PavlovsDog about how Jeff's storyline could've been very good if played by a better actor. Imagine if the actor who had played Dodge in Home and Away had been cast as Jeff!

I don't think it was my point, but I do agree. Was Kelly Dingwall active in 1984 and would the age have fit?

+Quote Post
Lex82
post May 9 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #512

Group Icon

I think the actually was and would've been around the correct age.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post May 10 2018, 02:51 AM
Post #513

Group Icon

https://www.facebook.com/alyce.platt/posts/...6669836750340:0

Mini reunion.

(IMG:https://image.ibb.co/feguBU/sons_and_daughters_reunion_small.jpg)
‘Someone’s Daughter’ @melbournecabaretfestival - with her favorite Sons and Daughters! The show may have ended back in the 80’s but our personal storyline and friendship continues to live on in a spectacular soap opera of our own! I love you to the moon and back @allyfowler1 @antonia.murphy and #kimlewis. #bestfriendsforever #someonesdaughter #sonsanddaughters #melbournecabaretfestival #chapeloffchapel #newshow #toomanylemoncellos and where are you @peterphelps1

+Quote Post
Screwbaiter
post May 10 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #514

Group Icon

Member No.: 933

I've loved reading through this thread. I watched S+D on Channel 5, I think, when they showed it at some Godforsaken time, but gave up mid way through the Craig stuff. I see now how close I must've been to the end, but I just couldn't do it LOL I did see the last episodes once on TV maaaaany many years ago, and was shocked at the way Wayne and Susan's story ended. It was SO good to see so many Pris cast playing totally different characters - Les Dayman and Mary Ward. Anna Hruby, Lisa Crittenden and the chap that Bea slept with - mr moustache LOL. 'Mick O'Brien' played Stephen thingummy, and I remember enjoying his role very much.
But, of course, Rowena Wallace was just sublime. I adored everything about her portrayal, even down to the way she smoked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the memories!

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post May 14 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #515

Group Icon

A small heads up for anyone who likes playing 'spot the actor's, BBC1 is showing season 5 of the Dr Blake Mysteries at 2.15pm each weekday.

In Episode 4, there is a brief appearance near the start from Angela Kennedy, who played Ginny. This will be on Thursday.

In Episode 6, Kim Lewis who played Jill features briefly, I assume this will air next Monday.

Both still very recognisable despite both being over 50 now, 30 odd years after we saw them in S&D.

Don't forget to click on my link two posts above, a picture from Alyce Platt's (Amanda) FB page where she catches up with Kim, Antonia Murphy (Lynn) and Ally Fowler (Angela).

+Quote Post
steveh31
post May 15 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #516

Group Icon

I don't like the way Alyce Platt milks S&D even 20 years later she left the show and then would not return to finish off her character so we ended up with one of the worst endings to a character in the series, maybe if Alyce had finished the show properly I might like seeing her pop up.

With Kim Lewis she chose to leave and her character had an ending so fair enough I don't mind seeing her again but she certainly doesn't milk the fact she was in it.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post May 15 2018, 02:22 PM
Post #517

Group Icon

QUOTE (steveh31 @ May 15 2018, 10:36 AM) *
I don't like the way Alyce Platt milks S&D even 20 years later she left the show and then would not return to finish off her character so we ended up with one of the worst endings to a character in the series, maybe if Alyce had finished the show properly I might like seeing her pop up.

With Kim Lewis she chose to leave and her character had an ending so fair enough I don't mind seeing her again but she certainly doesn't milk the fact she was in it.

I would hardly say Platt is milking anything. She obviously is still friends/acquaintances with some old cast, they met up and took a picture. It seems obvious to reference the show when all 4 were in it.

+Quote Post
Smash
post Aug 13 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #518

Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 14,995

I've been blasting rhough SAD for a while now and have just dipped my toes into the waters of 1986 (up to episode 709). Enjoying it immensely, but I know it is all downhill from here, sadly.

I am looking forward to Janice coming into it, though. Yes, she could be a pain (but it was her character that was sometimes annoying, not the actress and that's the way it should be) but I did like her, probably more than I would have thought. I can't remember the contect, but I just remember her saying to (I think Fiona) "I think I'm going to have to be rude." which for some reason made me chortle because only Janice could be dismayed at the thought of being even slightly rude to someone in order to get her message across.

James Hamilton has just left for Quilpie for a few weeks and (if I remember correctly) dies on a Ferris wheel (or some fairground ride or other) having been cheating on Alison.

And of course there's the great shark cliffhanger to look forward to/dread (delete as applicable) at the end of the year.

I will keep watching, though.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Aug 14 2018, 12:32 AM
Post #519

Group Icon

I didn't think I would like Janice, based on my early viewings back in the ITV days, but I really like her now.

Unfortunately, many others characters take a nosedive around this point. Fiona almost overnight comes out of her op as a comedy act and we rarely see the strong woman who took on Patricia in the first few years. Not helped by chopping Irene and essentially replacing her with the scatty May Walters.

Characters like Gordon, Beryl and to a lesser extent David are fairly piss weak anyway and become even less useful later in the series I feel. Andy Green becomes an arch twat around this time too.

Alison Carr and Wayne, with a bit of Charlie and Janice thrown in are about the only saving grace. Oh and Ginny, I liked her eventually once she settled down. Craig is OK but a bit too much of a perfect boy in some ways, his girlfriend could be very annoying.

I was rattling through episodes but for some reason stopped a couple of months ago at Episode 850, the episode where Beryl dresses as Ruby to trap Colin Hopkins into confessing to the murder Craig was accused of.

I really need to get back involved because I am forgetting names and have had to Google surnames of Colin and May just to make this post.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 20 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #520

Group Icon

Something that's just came to me.

It's pretty well established that SAD, like Prisoner were supplied to Five from Pearson/Grundy to help fill slots. I wonder if there was any reason they waited 11 months before scheduling SAD, as they had Prisoner scheduled from when the channel began. Anyone remember what was in the weekday 1:30pm slot before they put SAD in there?

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 20 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #521

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,036

QUOTE (Lex82 @ Oct 20 2018, 06:17 PM) *
It's pretty well established that SAD, like Prisoner were supplied to Five from Pearson/Grundy to help fill slots. I wonder if there was any reason they waited 11 months before scheduling SAD, as they had Prisoner scheduled from when the channel began. Anyone remember what was in the weekday 1:30pm slot before they put SAD in there?

Maybe they just decided to try Sons and Daughters in the afternoon slot as Prisoner was relatively successful in its late night/middle of the night slots. I guess Sons and Daughters didn't do well in the lunchtime slot hence it being dropped for 3 years before finally being played out at 5am! I wonder why they waited 10 months or so after Prisoner ended in February 2001 before Sons and Daughters turned up in the 5am slot.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 20 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #522

Group Icon

Very true Jez. They could've plugged the Prisoner sized gap with SAD straight away. Strange that they didn't. It was definitely a pleasant shock to me in late 2001 to see on the SAD website that it was returning to Five. I thought that that ship had definitely sailed.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 01:00 PM