Reply to this topicStart new topic
James Smillie (Steve Wilson)
kristen
post Jul 9 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 4,321

although not an officer, i wanted to mention James Smillie, who played a lawyer during the 1979 season..wow, this was one good looking guy! His character was a complete wanker, too cool-for-school type, but when i look at him i think how handsome he is! I looked him up, and i realised why his face is familiar - he was on 'Return to Eden'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derbydave
post Jul 9 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 182

He's also known for doing musicals.

Apparently he was offered a role in PCBH towards the end of the series, but turned it down....i'm thinking it was prob either Tom Lucas or Mr Hudson (in the final 2 episodes)

+Quote Post
nonspeakingextra
post Jul 10 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 100

I met him briefly just last week at Denise Morgan's service. Nice guy. Also met Penny Stewart but had no idea it was her at the time (she played Kathleen Leach) and looks nothing like she did back then.

+Quote Post
Jock Stewart
post Jul 20 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 691

How was he a 'wanker'?

+Quote Post
foxy23
post Feb 28 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 337

I loved Steve Wilson - was becoming an integral part of the show in 1979! His departure was very unsatisfying - I think he would have worked well in a relationship with Karen, but he was hastilly sent off to start a partnership with his ex.

+Quote Post
Jock Stewart
post Feb 28 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 691

QUOTE (foxy23 @ Feb 28 2012, 12:37 PM) *
I loved Steve Wilson - was becoming an integral part of the show in 1979! His departure was very unsatisfying - I think he would have worked well in a relationship with Karen, but he was hastilly sent off to start a partnership with his ex.

He is breifly in a scene at the same time as the arriving Jim, would have liked to have seen a proper scene with those two

+Quote Post
smooth_criminal
post Feb 28 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 73

I didn't mind him in his first few episodes, and loved how he and Jean got off on the wrong foot. However, once He'd got Lyn and Karen's sentences reduced I felt the scriptwriters didn't really know what to do with him after that.

+Quote Post
foxy23
post Mar 8 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

James Smilie was also divine in Return to Eden, the mini series and tv series

+Quote Post
kristen
post May 9 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jock Stewart @ Jul 21 2011, 12:30 AM) *
How was he a 'wanker'?

Umm, he (steve) was just a bit of a wanker, maybe not a complete one....just a bit too smarmy, with the one raised eyebrow, the way he kind of shifted his head and shoulders rythmically when he spoke, remind me of one of those upper-crust so and so's. Anyway, that was just my opinion - i still love his character in its way (and loved looking at him)...Jean and Steve were clearly the in-crowd of the wentworth diaspora of 1979....

+Quote Post
Mark
post May 9 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 86

I liked Steve, for an older man he was very easy on the eye and I liked his character also.

+Quote Post
NAParry
post Jun 9 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 180

James Smilie also cropped up in a episode of The Tomorrow People (UK children's sci-fi show from the 1970's) as a music producer.

I liked his character in Prisoner. It was clear Steve was always a 'high-flyer' and perhaps felt that Wentworth inmates were somewhat beneath him (it seemed to me) - but there was just a chance he would turn out to be a decent, honourable bloke and stay on to help them. In the end, however, he succumbed to climbing the career ladder. This might have been a shame for his Wentworth friends, but a fitting and realistic departure for his character.

+Quote Post
jpww1979
post Jun 19 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 951

"Hello all you lovely ladies, I am smooth Steve Wilson the captain of the love boat, do you like my spinning bow tie? "

+Quote Post
kristen
post Jul 19 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (jpww1979 @ Jun 19 2012, 01:56 PM) *
"Hello all you lovely ladies, I am smooth Steve Wilson the captain of the love boat, do you like my spinning bow tie? "

Oh i do, James! i was almost blinded by the sparkle, when you smiled! You truly dazzle me, and make me feel...all warm, and funny inside!
James. i am building a time-machine, so i can go back in time, and visit you when were so hot and sexy...I have bought a replica De-Lorean car from e-bay for $1,999...all i need now darling, is a flux-capacitor....my mechanic said he can build me one by next week.....James, when my time machine is ready, i am setting it for december 1, 1979....the first day of summer..and a beautiful day it was....i'll see you at the gates of wentworth,...

+Quote Post
meme
post Jul 30 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 15,169

Excellent character. Sometimes someone is so smug, smarmy and smooth that they are actually alright. I thought he was a great addition to the show during the '79 season. He also looked like a double for Bill Clinton. He has also done many voice-overs. James Bond trailers included.

+Quote Post
Rhodeslady
post Aug 4 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Brian_M @ Jul 10 2011, 05:05 AM) *
I met him briefly just last week at Denise Morgan's service. Nice guy. Also met Penny Stewart but had no idea it was her at the time (she played Kathleen Leach) and looks nothing like she did back then.

He is the most beautiful man on the planet!!! That smile and voice! Apart from Barry, he is the best looking Prisoner person lol

+Quote Post
beaspress
post Aug 22 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 549

Within a year of leaving Prisoner, James Smillie was in an episode of the first series of The Gentle Touch. He makes a play for Jill Gascoine's character, DI Maggie Forbes.

+Quote Post
FERGOFOREVER
post Aug 23 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #17

Group: GUESTS
Member No.: 142

He always reminds me of the guy who was alwyas on adverts for Northern Upholstery when I was growing up.

I can just here Steve's voice, with some generic spiccatto violins in the background, saying: "Nought percent finance! Interest Fee for a year! Only in Carcroft, Brigg, Thorparch and Hull!"

Can anyone get that from youtube?

+Quote Post
chucky
post Sep 21 2012, 05:31 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 162

He's so unbelievably sauve and charismatic.

He's like James Bond. Except he's a lawyer. (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/Chortle.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr Peterson
post Sep 22 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,401

Born 1944? In his 30's in prisoner? I thought he was older.

+Quote Post
Birdsworth
post Nov 8 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 964

Thinking about how many lawyers and solicitors appear throughout the series in just one episode, usually in the Interview Room with the same prop black briefcase (cf Dr Weissmann), Steve Wilson was the most prominent of any of them, even gaining storylines for himself, although an exception would be Ben Fulbright (Matthew Kelly/Branson lookalike aka the governor's son-in law) and David Adams (the biggest exit in the entire series for any solicitor character) later on in the series. And probably any solicitor played by Telford Jackson perhaps?

Also, I am sure that I am not the only one that thinks that Steve sounds like Adam Joseph, who was often heard on the laundry radio, reading a news bulletin involving a relevant character before Bea or someone else turns it off. Not to mention his "The Queen and Travers" cry when Karen waits to appear in court. I don't know, but it seems to me that the accents of a lot of Australian actors, especially in the late 1970s and early 1980s, can sound almost the same at times.

Regarding the Northern Upholstery adverts (now known as DFS), I think I know who you were referring to. I think his name was Tom something, and I have seen him with moustache in an 1980s Allied Carpets advert as well.

If you look on YouTube for Molinare Showreel 1980, you will see Jim narrate an interesting programme about television production.

+Quote Post
Kay White
post Nov 8 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 397

Thanks for that, I'm going to try and find it. His voice is superb.

Very Interesting video. Looking back the technology seems primitive....ooh you can stop! But seriously the picture quality was better before digital. You can't get close ups with this digital crap.

+Quote Post
Birdsworth
post Nov 9 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 964

QUOTE (Kay White @ Nov 8 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Thanks for that, I'm going to try and find it. His voice is superb.

Very Interesting video. Looking back the technology seems primitive....ooh you can stop! But seriously the picture quality was better before digital. You can't get close ups with this digital crap.

Yeah, broadcasting technology has improved so much in the past 33 years. I always think of Kenny Everett and Hot Gossip when I see that clip. Or even the Tomorrow's World incarnation of Look Around You.

+Quote Post
foxy23
post Nov 21 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

I loved Steve Wilson, but I HATE the way he was written out - It was very abrupt! I was wanting him and Karen to make a go of things!

+Quote Post
Falconer_1
post Oct 13 2018, 08:06 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,871

QUOTE (kristen @ Jul 9 2011, 03:32 PM) *
although not an officer, i wanted to mention James Smillie, who played a lawyer during the 1979 season..wow, this was one good looking guy! His character was a complete wanker, too cool-for-school type, but when i look at him i think how handsome he is! I looked him up, and i realised why his face is familiar - he was on 'Return to Eden'.

'.wow, this was one good looking guy!'...' but when i look at him i think how handsome he is! '

Those are issues that many experience when in my presence.

Seriously though, good character, clearly a great actor, plays the role really well.

+Quote Post
Luigi Severus Fl...
post Nov 1 2018, 02:51 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 14,822

Jesus Christ, Steve Wilson was a complete bore... Then again, a lot of people connected with Karen were boring.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2018 - 11:30 AM