Richmond Hill
Vera Bennett
post Apr 13 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 112

Who remembers Richmond Hill?

With fantastic regulars including Amanda Muggleton, Maggie Kirkpatrick, Tim Elston, Gwen Plumb and Dina Panozzo, i lived this twice weekly show every Wednesday and Thursday on ITV late 1988/early 1989.

My favourite was Ashley Paske http://australianscreen.com.au/titles/fame-game/clip2/ In this 1997 clip he explains about his life after acting. I live the "arty-farty" part :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Urbanite
post Apr 14 2009, 12:30 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 126

I think I remember seeing Emily Symons in the opening titles too. There was another thread about RH on here, but I didn't get to post what I am going to post now, so here goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I remember seeing an episode (split into two videos) of Richmond Hill on Youtube and seeing the opening titles and end credits as well, all intact. Amanda Muggleton's character, Connie Ryan and Maggie Kirkpatrick's character, Ivy Hackett featured in the episode I watched.

It was a big difference seeing these actresses in different roles from Prisoner's Chrissie Latham and Joan Ferguson. I don't know how many episodes it ran for, but it would be nice to see them on TV again or better still on DVD. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have looked on Youtube and have found two promos for Richmond Hill with both Amanda and Maggie in them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have just spotted Clara Goddard in the first video. I remember the character (who was irritating Ivy) in RH from last year when I watched the episode and now I recognise her face in RH as I have seen Clara now thanks to the DVDs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk89Rhz4Xms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmqcL3YBCr0...feature=related

And a quick video of the end credits with theme tune showing the Grundy Television Production logo and Network Ten Australia font.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQaeuQyBko

+Quote Post
nonspeakingextra
post Apr 14 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 100

I have an episode of RH here which we hope to encode and use on Amanda's site once we get the neccessary permissions to do so. There's a fun scene where Amanda steals Maggie K's credit cards... maybe as payback for the kicking she took in Wentworth in 82? (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/Chortle.gif)

+Quote Post
Urbanite
post Apr 14 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 126

QUOTE (Brian_M @ Apr 14 2009, 01:56 AM) *
I have an episode of RH here which we hope to encode and use on Amanda's site once we get the neccessary permissions to do so. There's a fun scene where Amanda steals Maggie K's credit cards... maybe as payback for the kicking she took in Wentworth in 82? (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/Chortle.gif)

Hey, maybe that was why she stole them. (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Bev Baker
post Apr 14 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 77

I used to really like Richmond Hill.
What was really strange was I saw Maggie and Amanda in Richmond Hill before I saw them in Prisoner on ITV all those years ago.

+Quote Post
The~Governor
post Jun 30 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 15,145

QUOTE (Bev Baker @ Apr 14 2009, 12:37 PM) *
I used to really like Richmond Hill.
What was really strange was I saw Maggie and Amanda in Richmond Hill before I saw them in Prisoner on ITV all those years ago.

I too saw Maggie as Ivy Hackett in Richmond Hill before the first of her episodes as The Freak started to air in the Granada TV region.

Tim Elston who played Scott Collins in Prisoner was also a regular in Richmond Hill, playing Warren Bryant.

+Quote Post
AndyB2007
post Jun 30 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 14,609

QUOTE (The~Governor @ Jun 30 2012, 09:56 AM) *
I too saw Maggie as Ivy Hackett in Richmond Hill before the first of her episodes as The Freak started to air in the Granada TV region.

Tim Elston who played Scott Collins in Prisoner was also a regular in Richmond Hill, playing Warren Bryant.

Granada was also one of 2 ITV regions to break away from the networked screenings of Richmond Hill- the show premiered in Britain not long after Channel 10 had cancelled the show in Australia, and ITV had bought it as a show to be aired in all regions at the same time (Wed and Thurs at 2pm). Granada and Central did air the remaining episodes, but behind the rest of the regions.

A memorial service on January 4th 1989 for the victims of the Lockerbie bombing (which started at 2pm) meant no Richmond Hill aired in Border, Scottish and Grampian regions due to RH's timeslot being needed in those regions to air the service, forcing episodes of RH to be knocked on there- the episode meant to air on Wed 4/1/1989 which was pre-empted for the Lockerbie memorial was aired on Thurs 5/1/1989 in those regions, the episode meant to air on Thurs 5/1/1989 aired the following Wednesday, and so-on.

+Quote Post
The~Governor
post Jun 30 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 15,145

If I remember correctly, RH was only shown one episode a week in Granada on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't think it ever had a weekday slot in the Granada schedules.

+Quote Post
AndyB2007
post Jun 30 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 14,609

QUOTE (The~Governor @ Jun 30 2012, 05:33 PM) *
If I remember correctly, RH was only shown one episode a week in Granada on a Sunday afternoon.

I don't think it ever had a weekday slot in the Granada schedules.

It could've started out on weekdays at 2pm at first in the original 2-hr a week format a la Ten (Granada and Central broke away from the network schedule not long after RH debuted on ITV), then switched to one episode only on a Sunday afternoon later on while other regions continued it in the original twice-weekly slot on weekdays.

ITV regions did the same for Falcon Crest- moving it from primetime to daytime.

+Quote Post
Simey
post Jun 30 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 875

I can't ever remember Richmond Hill being screened on HTV in Wales, we had everything else and I was particularly fond of The Sullivans and used to watch it in my lunch hour when I was a kid at school. Never really paid much attention to The Young Doctors or Country Practice.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,830

Yesterday was 30 years since the show started at 2pm on Wednesday 5th October 1988 on ITV. Two days earlier, This Morning also started its run and is still going albeit made in London these days rather than Liverpool.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 6 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

STV viewers would also have seen Maggie Kirkpatrick in her RH role before her Prisoner role. I'd estimate that The Freak first appeared on STV in 1991 or 1992.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 6 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,036

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 09:00 PM) *
Yesterday was 30 years since the show started at 2pm on Wednesday 5th October 1988 on ITV. Two days earlier, This Morning also started its run and is still going albeit made in London these days rather than Liverpool.

Going off topic slightly, but I saw a bit of the This Morning special celebrating 30 years, they showed a photo of the tv listings for that day (Monday 3rd October) from the TV Times and in the 12.30pm The Sullivans was listed with a cast list. I never realised they had a cast list in tv magazines for the regional soaps? Im guessing the region was either Thames or Granada. It certainly wouldn't have been Central or YTV as they didn't show The Sullivans in 1988!

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

The Freak arrived on STV on their Easter Monday episode in 1992 20/04/1992 at 00.00. During 1991 and 1992 STV screened the show weekly on Monday nights.

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:17 PM) *
Going off topic slightly, but I saw a bit of the This Morning special celebrating 30 years, they showed a photo of the tv listings for that day (Monday 3rd October) from the TV Times and in the 12.30pm The Sullivans was listed with a cast list. I never realised they had a cast list in tv magazines for the regional soaps? Im guessing the region was either Thames or Granada. It certainly wouldn't have been Central or YTV as they didn't show The Sullivans in 1988!

I’ve seen Granada’s Mon 03/10/1988 TV Times schedule and The Sullivans has no cast list or episode details. Other regions may have had a more detailed version. I think Granada supplied very limited details about their Sullivans episodes over the years as none I’ve ever seen listed on Granada were episode specific.
Back in 1988 I saw some extensive YTV cast lists for SAD and Prisoner in TVTimes.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 6 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

I think all regions would have seen Maggie in RH before Prisoner. Even Central didn't get to the Freak's first episode until March 1989?

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 10:22 PM) *
I’ve seen Granada’s Mon 03/10/1988 TV Times schedule and The Sullivans has no cast list or episode details. Other regions may have had a more detailed version. I think Granada supplied very limited details about their Sullivans episodes over the years as none I’ve ever seen listed on Granada were episode specific.
Back in 1988 I saw some extensive YTV cast lists for SAD and Prisoner in TVTimes.

Which regions had The Sullivans on Mondays at 12.30pm back in Oct 88? Thames and their 3 followers, Anglia? HTV?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:23 PM) *
I think all regions would have seen Maggie in RH before Prisoner. Even Central didn't get to the Freak's first episode until March 1989?

Yes. I think only Central and Granada had her in both shows at the same time. Granada dragged RH out for far longer than all other regions.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 6 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

it appears that Central reduced RH down to 1 episode a week and restarted ACP which they hadn't screened for years on the other day the other regions showed RH. I wonder why Granada dragged RH out so long.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:25 PM) *
Which regions had The Sullivans on Mondays at 12.30pm back in Oct 88? Thames and their 3 followers, Anglia? HTV?

Probably all of the regions screening it except STV I think. Monday’s and Fridays at 12.30pm had previously been for networked daytime documentary style programmes but had then changed to be free for the regions to do what they wanted. I expect most would have followed Thames’ lead and just increased their screenings of The Sullivans - it was the easiest option. And would help in moving the series on as WW2 had now been going on since 1977!!!

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:29 PM) *
it appears that Central reduced RH down to 1 episode a week and restarted ACP which they hadn't screened for years on the other day the other regions showed RH. I wonder why Granada dragged RH out so long.

They started it two weeks after the other regions and quickly reduced to one a week. When the others finished it they were less than half way through and they eventually brought it back in Sundays around 2pm during 1990 and 1991. Maybe they wanted the freedom to do their own thing in the Wed Thurs 2pm rather than be tied to what Thames screened.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 6 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 10:29 PM) *
Probably all of the regions screening it except STV I think. Monday’s and Fridays at 12.30pm had previously been for networked daytime documentary style programmes but had then changed to be free for the regions to do what they wanted. I expect most would have followed Thames’ lead and just increased their screenings of The Sullivans - it was the easiest option. And would help in moving the series on as WW2 had now been going on since 1977!!!

HTV had The Sullivans for years and years on a Monday and Tuesday at 12.30pm, then when the slot was taken by Home and Away in 1989 they moved The Sullivans to after the lunchtime news at 1.30pm I think still on a Monday and Tuesday. They dropped it sometime in 1992 but in January 1993 showed the remaining episodes Monday and Tuesday this time at around 3.25 after the mid afternoon news.

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 10:31 PM) *
They started it two weeks after the other regions and quickly reduced to one a week. When the others finished it they were less than half way through and they eventually brought it back in Sundays around 2pm during 1990 and 1991. Maybe they wanted the freedom to do their own thing in the Wed Thurs 2pm rather than be tied to what Thames screened.

So RH was never fully networked then if Granada were always behind the other regions, even though it was just 2 weeks behind initially. RH is the only aussie soap that all regions completed in full. I wonder how long Central took to complete it.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:34 PM) *
HTV had The Sullivans for years and years on a Monday and Tuesday at 12.30pm, then when the slot was taken by Home and Away in 1989 they moved The Sullivans to after the lunchtime news at 1.30pm I think still on a Monday and Tuesday. They dropped it sometime in 1992 but in January 1993 showed the remaining episodes Monday and Tuesday this time at around 3.25 after the mid afternoon news.

Most had had The Sullivans on Tues abs Thurs at 12.30pm. Mon Wed and Fri was for networked stuff. The Wed slot then became regional followed by the Mon and Fri slots.
January 1989 Thurs and Fri were used for Take the High Road by all English and Welsh regions. Thames and their followers had completed The Sullivans in late 1988 and Thames usedMon-Wed for ACP halves.
By Sept 1989 all regions had H&A at 12.30 meaning that the regional ACP/TS/TYD/Santa Barbara and semi networked TTHR has to move.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 6 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 10:39 PM) *
Most had had The Sullivans on Tues abs Thurs at 12.30pm. Mon Wed and Fri was for networked stuff. The Wed slot then became regional followed by the Mon and Fri slots.
January 1989 Thurs and Fri were used for Take the High Road by all English and Welsh regions. Thames and their followers had completed The Sullivans in late 1988 and Thames usedMon-Wed for ACP halves.
By Sept 1989 all regions had H&A at 12.30 meaning that the regional ACP/TS/TYD/Santa Barbara and semi networked TTHR has to move.

I think HTV had TS Mon/Tues, a gardening series on Wed and Take The High Road on Thurs/Fri. This must have been early 1989. I guess HTV showing it twice a week meant it lasted until 1993 when a lot of regions completed in the late 1980s.

What did Thames 3 followers replace TS with?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 6 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:36 PM) *
So RH was never fully networked then if Granada were always behind the other regions, even though it was just 2 weeks behind initially. RH is the only aussie soap that all regions completed in full. I wonder how long Central took to complete it.

I think it could be because Granada had a week of Crown Green Bowls or something during week 1 or week 2 of RH and they obviously chose to prioritise that over RH. Thursdays were used for ACP once again. Maybe if RH had performed slightly better Granada may have opted to screen extra episodes to catch upto Thames and then join the network.
It was also unwise to rely on Thames for imported stuff as during previous Thames strikes, their followers then had to resort to finding other things to show when Thames had industrial action with such as SAD, ACP and TS. I think Thames strikes is one of the reasons why YTV broke away from Thames ACPs in 1984 and screened it themselves in halves.

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 6 2018, 10:43 PM) *
I think HTV had TS Mon/Tues, a gardening series on Wed and Take The High Road on Thurs/Fri. This must have been early 1989. I guess HTV showing it twice a week meant it lasted until 1993 when a lot of regions completed in the late 1980s.

What did Thames 3 followers replace TS with?

I’m not sure what they replaced it with but it definitely wasn’t ACP. Border would have been most affected as they’d need five slots to be filled at 12.30 as they had TTHR in peak time.

In 1990 Anglia and Thames replaces SAD with TYD. Tyne Tees replaced it with Santa Barbara. Back in 1984 they had to put American comedies at 3.30 for a week when Thames were on strike. Anglia and TT then managed to resume SAD via another region while Thames were only screening to their own region. When Thames strike was over thanescwere a week ahead of TT and Anglia. They got back on track when Thames stopped SAD a week earlier than the others at Xmas 1984.

Granada TV Times from Mon 07/10/1985 and they seem to think that Yorkshire is screening “The Prisoner” that night at 11pm. They were in fact screening episode 39 of our PCBH.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  E896B9EB_E85A_4BCF_B6B1_AB24D42077FB.jpeg ( 308.75K ) Number of downloads: 8

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 7 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

I had another look at the 'This Morning 30th" show today and looking at the TV Times again it appears that the region was HTV. I could see HTV News listed. It appears they were showing The Sullivans at 12.30pm and TYD at 3.30pm which is what I remember from this era. They had a film from 1.30pm. I think The Sullivans was Mon/Tues, not sure what was Wed-Fri. I think Take the high road didn't start at 12.30 until 1989.

Actually looking at the storyline and cast list for the Sullivans episode in Oct 88 it does make sense its HTV. I think HTV would have been somewhere between episode 700 and 800 at that point as had around 4 years worth of episodes left (at twice a week). Thames and their followers were meant to have finished The Sullivans that week.

HTV replaced The Sullivans with extra episodes of TYD. That also finished less than a year later after The Sullivans.

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 7 2018, 08:55 PM) *
Granada TV Times from Mon 07/10/1985 and they seem to think that Yorkshire is screening “The Prisoner” that night at 11pm. They were in fact screening episode 39 of our PCBH.

That's very interesting. I thought it was odd Granada had SAD at 3.30pm on a Monday but then remembered they had SAD on Mon and Tues and TYD at 3.30pm. I see YTV had their half episode of ACP.

Interesting to see HTV were showing the film The John Sullivan Story - did they screen at the time it was relevant to the plot in the main show? Did other regions air it?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 7 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 7 2018, 09:20 PM) *
That's very interesting. I thought it was odd Granada had SAD at 3.30pm on a Monday but then remembered they had SAD on Mon and Tues and TYD at 3.30pm. I see YTV had their half episode of ACP.

Interesting to see HTV were showing the film The John Sullivan Story - did they screen at the time it was relevant to the plot in the main show? Did other regions air it?

I’m not sure whether HTV managed to screen The John Sullivan Story at the correct time in relation to The Sullivans. I doubt it though.
Border were also screening SAD and were around 80 behind Granada. HTV and Central (and a few others) all had TYD.?

The Granada TVTimes for 03/10/1988. A very detailed thorough The Sullivans description. Really helps the reader to understand what the show is all about!!
SAD and Prisoner also on this date
Attached File(s)
Attached File  A3411BEE_AA59_49AF_AA44_1BFEA3047133.jpeg ( 48K ) Number of downloads: 8
Attached File  358E975B_7EF1_4BA9_B75A_A76223183D77.jpeg ( 48K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 7 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

YTV really were very different to the other regions in terms of the aussie soaps. In 1985 they were showing half hour ACP and Prisoner which no other region was doing They also weren't screening The Sullivans and YYD which most other regions at the time were screening.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 7 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 7 2018, 09:36 PM) *
YTV really were very different to the other regions in terms of the aussie soaps. In 1985 they were showing half hour ACP and Prisoner which no other region was doing They also weren't screening The Sullivans and YYD which most other regions at the time were screening.

In 1985 YTV were very familiar with Christine Amor and Louise Pajo as they had both been in their (only on YTV at the time) Prisoner and Carson’s Law programmes as main characters. Other regions wouldn’t have heard of them. YTV also saw Christine Harris first of all regions when she started in CL.
Sadly they got Cornelia Frances’ work the wrong way around having raced through her SAD they had her pop up in Prisoner Just after SAD and she then popped up in TYD for 3.5 years Just after she’d secured Pat O’Connell’s release in Prisoner.
Most other regions had seen Cornelia appear in two different roles simultaneously at 3.30pm for a long stretch in TYD/SAD. I think Border managed to screen Cornelia the best, getting a good chunk of her TYD done before they started her in SAD.
Anne Haddy was also in YTV BBC heavily at the end of 1986 in SAD Neighbours and Prisoner. By Jan 1987 YTV had finished with her for good - the first region to do so.

03/10/1983 early episodes of TYD and evening SAD on Granada

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 7 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 6 2018, 10:18 PM) *
The Freak arrived on STV on their Easter Monday episode in 1992 20/04/1992 at 00.00. During 1991 and 1992 STV screened the show weekly on Monday nights.

So is it possible that STV viewers saw Maggie's first Home and Away stint before she appeared in Prisoner? Would be interesting to know when Maggie's stint as Marilyn's aunt Jean Chambers was shown on ITV in the UK?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 7 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

QUOTE (Lex82 @ Oct 7 2018, 10:27 PM) *
So is it possible that STV viewers saw Maggie's first Home and Away stint before she appeared in Prisoner? Would be interesting to know when Maggie's stint as Marilyn's aunt Jean Chambers was shown on ITV in the UK?

Maggie appeared in episodes between 765 and 775. From mid Feb 1989 ITV screened around 260 a year so would have had Maggie episodes in late Jan / early Feb 1992.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Oct 7 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 11,119

Completely off topic, aside from him being in that TV guide, but I have always wondered what happened to Fred Harris.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 8 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

When Maggie's first Home and Away stint was shown on STV, my mum said that she recognised her from Richmond Hill and Emily Symons had been too. Strange considering Maggie would've been unknown to a lot of the UK viewers at this stage....

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 8 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

QUOTE (Lex82 @ Oct 8 2018, 07:35 PM) *
When Maggie's first Home and Away stint was shown on STV, my mum said that she recognised her from Richmond Hill and Emily Symons had been too. Strange considering Maggie would've been unknown to a lot of the UK viewers at this stage....

Amanda Muggleton would have been in RH and Prisoner at the same time on STV too. YTV had Paula Duncan (Prisoner's Lorelei) appear daily in 1976/77 episodes of TYD and twice a week in 1987 episodes of RH during late 1988 / early - mid 1989.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 13 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Quite a thorough cast list for a Thames outing of TYD 31 years ago today!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CROBD1xWwAEkG9x.jpg ( 233.88K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 11:24 PM