Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prisoner Vhs Tapes
cwathen
post Jul 31 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 429

Just netted myself an almost complete set of Prisoner's VHS release from ebay - episodes 1-10 and 326&327, just leaves the 11&12 tape that I don't have (I have previously had 3&4 and have a copy of 326&327 but it's gone mouldy).

Got the whole lot for about 17. Good to have for posterity!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tony Berman
post Jul 31 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 430

That is exactly what I have. I never was able to get 11 to 12 even when they were on sale in HMV in the 90s.

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Aug 1 2016, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

I have/had (may also have gone damp along with most of my Prisoner VHS recordings) a bootleg copy of it in the past, it definitely exists!

Possibly this is one tape that's more collectable because it has the interview about the great escape tour on it (quite interesting actually, possibly one of the last interviews Sheila Florence gave and at the time she still looked fabulous, hard to think she was already dead by the time this was released), whereas the rest just have the 2 episodes and nothing else?

This was also the final Prisoner VHS before they gave up on the idea. Perhaps the first lot didn't sell well and there were fewer of this one made in the first place?

As you say though, the rest pop up on ebay fairly regularly but not this one.

I do wonder though if they honestly thought they'd ever be able to release all of the series this way - there would eventually be 346 tapes, and they originally cost 10.99 each (in 1993 - that's about 20 in 2016 money)! To say nothing of them releasing only 1 a month (in line with most series VHS releases at the time) - they'd still be knocking them out now!

It would look mightily impressive though - I'm still quite proud of the impression made by my complete set of DS9 on VHS and that's only 90 odd tapes.

This post has been edited by cwathen: Aug 1 2016, 09:32 AM

+Quote Post
Tony Berman
post Aug 1 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 430

It may have been that or maybe they didn't make as many or maybe by the time they released 11-12 people didn't buy it as much so it's not in circulation. I also think it's got the best cover of the first episodes VHSs:

(IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HN7GTS6JL.jpg)

I never did get The Great Escape video buy I did get to see it once. I thought it was interesting but the music on it made it incredibly naff and cringeworthy - not something you would show someone to get them into Prisoner. I remember some acoustic guitar playing the theme tune as they came through Derby.

(IMG:http://home.swipnet.se/~w-73914/images/video_pcbh8_uk.jpg)

This was my favourite video. I must have put that video on endless times. I had seen the episodes when they went out live in the summer of 98 I think and I watched this video wishing I'd recorded the series back then but we didn't have a video recorder until later:

(IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41TCDC1JWML.jpg)

+Quote Post
smooth_criminal
post Aug 1 2016, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 73

I used to have the whole lot, including the one featuring episodes 11 & 12 - regrettably I got rid of them years ago when the DVDs came out (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/016.gif)

+Quote Post
misteradam
post Aug 2 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 74

QUOTE (Tony Berman @ Aug 1 2016, 01:52 PM) *
I also think it's got the best cover of the first episodes VHSs:

(IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HN7GTS6JL.jpg)

I thought it was interesting but the music on it made it incredibly naff and cringeworthy - not something you would show someone to get them into Prisoner. I remember some acoustic guitar playing the theme tune as they came through Derby.

(IMG:http://home.swipnet.se/~w-73914/images/video_pcbh8_uk.jpg)

I had seen the episodes when they went out live in the summer of 98 I think and I watched this video wishing I'd recorded the series back then but we didn't have a video recorder until later:

(IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41TCDC1JWML.jpg)

I agree with all of this. The music was sooo tacky - a raggae version of on the inside WTF? Do you mean 1998 as the videos were out about 1993 as I recall. Remember nearly wetting myself when I first saw them in HMV when I was out with my mates in town on a saturday - the thrills of a 13 year old! I bought episodes 1&2 (after running up to House of Fraser where my mum worked to borrow a tenner off her!). Then a few days later, my mum came home and had got me the two other videos that were out at the time - episodes 3&4 and 5&6. I was over the moon. But that same evening I managed to trap my thumb in the front door which brought my mood down somewhat.

+Quote Post
The Bear
post Aug 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 56

Yeah. 93 would be right. I bought the first three around the September/October that year. I had only got into Prisoner a few months earlier so was excited to spot these in Woolworths. I seem to remember going up for the first one a week or so later once I had the money only to find that the 1 & 2 video had gone so being an impatient little sod, I bought the second volume instead meaning I saw 3 & 4 first. The next three releases were scattered throughout 94 with the last one towards the end of the year. I can remember constantly being on the lookout for the next volume which obviously never came and had to wait until 97 to see the next episodes on C5.

I got rid of mine in one go on eBay a few months back when I was having a big clear out. Should have probably got more for that last volume. Oh well.

+Quote Post
Mark
post Aug 7 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 86

I remember having most of these on VHS and travelling 11 miles to buy 326 and 327 - to this they day they still remain my most favourite episodes of the show.

+Quote Post
Jock Stewart
post Aug 11 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 691

I have a copy of 326/327 that I no longer want. If anyone wants it, let me know

Plus the 'Queen Vic' and 'The Den & Angie Years' EastEnders videos, oh and Bottom Series 1.

+Quote Post
tranq
post Sep 2 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 103

Oh I remember well the excitement of buying these. From Woolworths. I was in the 6th form at the time with no money nd had to get my gran to buy me them. I then lent them out to few people in my school class who loved them too.

+Quote Post
Shrivelled Prune
post Apr 23 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 287

I remember I won my copies of 1&2 and 3&4 in a competition in Gay Times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) My mum sent my postcard entry off for me at our local post office and was a bit paranoid that the woman in the PO would see the Gay Times address on the postcard (this was Cornwall in 1993...!).

I can remember the massive surprise when the videos just turned up in the post one morning! Was great! I took them into sixth form with me that day for some reason and we ended up watching them in my Business Studies class (the tutor was off sick). Everyone loved it. God, I was quite brave, thinking about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Chortle.gif)

It was months later that 5&6 came out but I bought that from my local Woolworths, plus all the others up to and including the now-elusive 11&12. I didn't buy the 'On the Outside' vid as I already had a copy of it from the fan club (yep, that music was cringey...).

+Quote Post
tranq
post Jun 8 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 103

Gosh I was in the 6th form during 93 when these came out too. It was the time I was most happy in my life. I loved school. Best years of your life, its true. I didn't get the 'on the outside' video and its only recently Iv watched it a couple of times on Youtube. One thing about it, I spotted a lad with blond curtains on the inside video. He was lovely looking. Think he played the guitar in the band. He reminded me of a lad I was in love with in my class. He had blond curtains too and we kissed once. Oh the memories!. Life is shit now.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 02:11 PM