Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opening Shots
misteradam
post Dec 8 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 74

Hi - what does Ian Bradley mean when he writes in the book on page 19 regardin opening shots:
"Incidentally the green screen we used to superimpose the bars was cutting edge technology..."

I assumed he meant the first few episodes when the opening credits had the bars slam on to the screen but he says:

"The bars would continually bleed but eventually we got a useble effect and used the same mastertape throughout the series"

So hes on about it being used throughout?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The~Governor
post Dec 8 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 15,145

I can only surmise that he is alluding to the gates we see slam in the early episodes (which as you say, were not used throughout the series).

Opening gate slams - episode 1

They were good though (IMG:http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

He says the same thing in the audio commentary on the 1st DVD boxset.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Dec 8 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

Yeah he means the slams over the still (paused) pictures that went to the ad breaks in the first few episodes.
When he mentions the mastertape thing I presume he just means they shot the bars closing with the corridor behind which is the "good" one.

+Quote Post
misteradam
post Dec 9 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 74

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 12 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (Robert @ Dec 8 2013, 09:37 PM) *
Yeah he means the slams over the still (paused) pictures that went to the ad breaks in the first few episodes.
When he mentions the mastertape thing I presume he just means they shot the bars closing with the corridor behind which is the "good" one.

Wonder if the reason they changed to that from episode 3 was it was less work than having to superimpose the gate over the still images of every episode.

+Quote Post
cwathen
post Oct 13 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 429

Didn't see this thread at the time. It never occured to me before that the bars were superimposed onto the corridor, I always assumed it was all the same set.

I guess the change at episode 3 was primarily done to save time but I think it was also a positive change, I never really liked the effect with the hinged gate superimposed onto the scene in the episodes 1 and 2, and that drumroll sound was just cheesy. The original title sequence with the gate 3 times and 6 mugshots I also felt dragged on a bit, the quicker version they settled on was much better.

Although the slamming gate visuals were set at episode 3, it took them a long time to get a decent sound effect to go along with it (and even longer to get a decent camera click sound to go with the mugshots).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 01:45 PM