Information About Fan Magazines
Vera
post Aug 27 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 680

Hi all,

Apologies if this query has already been posted in the past (I'm sure it must have been)

I'm trying to find out how many Fanclub based magazines/Newsletters have been published over the years. I notice the wonderful scanned documents in the section above ; serious thanks to those involved.

Would I be right in assuming that Blockade was the only UK magazine and was published by the Fanclub? Is that all of the issues posted in the section above or were there perhaps other specials, companion newsletters etc?

Same question for The Wentworth Star ; the only Aus fan magazine? Completely scanned above?

I know that there was something else called the H-Block Herald but I'm not sure where that fits in and if it was UK or Aus.

Thanks in advance,

Jay
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 27 2018, 05:29 PM
Post #2

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

QUOTE (Vera @ Aug 27 2018, 05:40 PM) *
Would I be right in assuming that Blockade was the only UK magazine and was published by the Fanclub? Is that all of the issues posted in the section above or were there perhaps other specials, companion newsletters etc?

I don't believe Blockade was part of a fanclub and was just a magazine - yes all the issues are posted here.

QUOTE (Vera @ Aug 27 2018, 05:40 PM) *
Same question for The Wentworth Star ; the only Aus fan magazine? Completely scanned above?

This was part of the Oz official fanclub and I also think all issues are scanned here.

I did post these quite a while ago so forgive me if I am incorrect on any of the details.

+Quote Post
PavlovsDog
post Aug 27 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 11,119

I remember getting a few episodes of Blockade and I am certain it would have been the original ones from 1993.

What I am less clear on, is how on earth I would have known about it back in 1993, pre internet?

Was it perhaps advertised in Inside Soap magazine? I do remember buying that occasionally.

+Quote Post
Vera
post Aug 27 2018, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thanks all,

So was H-Block Herald the only other publication during the 80's/90's? I see that some of them have been uploaded here too. Any idea how many there were?

+Quote Post
Robert
post Aug 27 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

QUOTE (Vera @ Aug 27 2018, 08:42 PM) *
So was H-Block Herald the only other publication during the 80's/90's? I see that some of them have been uploaded here too. Any idea how many there were?

As far as I know, yes. I don't have any more information about them. I am sure some people will have more and it would be nice if anyone could scan them in and post them here:
http://www.prisonercellblockhworld.co.uk/f...?showtopic=3879

+Quote Post
thefootofourstai...
post Sep 8 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,092

There was "The Block", "Behind The Bars" and "Top Dog" as well as I recall. I used to write a Ferguson serialisation for "The Block", titled "The Big J"

+Quote Post
Vera
post Sep 8 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Were they UK or Aus?

+Quote Post
thefootofourstai...
post Sep 9 2018, 08:13 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,092

QUOTE (Vera @ Sep 8 2018, 08:44 PM) *
Were they UK or Aus?

UK, from around 1994 ish

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 11:28 PM