Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coronation Street Star 'to Return As A Ghost'
Wentworth Forum > Escapees > Other Soaps > Coronation Street
capricornhazel
Vera Duckworth's character may have been killed off two years ago, but the soap legend is set for a dramatic comeback in Weatherfield… as a ghost!

According to The Sun, 'Coronation Street' producers are currently working on a storyline that would see her return to the cobbles later this year, before her on-screen husband Jack bows out from the soap this December.

Jack himself temporarily left Weatherfield earlier this year with his love interest Connie Rathbone, but the character is set to make a reappearance and talk to his wife's spirit before exiting the soap for good at the end of the year, when 'Coronation Street' celebrates its 50th anniversary.

70-year-old actress Elizabeth Dawn, who first starred as Vera in the soap back in 1974, left 'Coronation Street' in January 2008 due to health problems.

A source told The Sun: "The scriptwriters have been trying to come up with a fitting end for Jack and the ghost idea has become a big hit among the crew."

Comparing the plotline to a famous moment from 'Dallas', the insider added: "It would be the most dramatic return from the grave since Bobby came out of the shower in Dallas."

Dunno that the above appeals to me particularly. If it's done sensitively then it could work, I personally have a strong belief in the after-life, so get a bit funny when the Soaps jump on this bandwagon, but if anyone can carry the storyline off effectively I reckon it will be Bill Tarmey and could be very emotional.

Other Soaps have done this type of thing and it's been tacky.

What are your thoughts?
Darren24
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Jun 23 2010, 05:29 PM) *
What are your thoughts?

I think it sounds a bit far fetched but soaps are always guilty of this! Its what makes them good! The characters of Jack and Vera are iconic so they're going to have to make it work and not seem silly i think Corrie will do it convicingly as they rarely let us down in the past, its a nice thought! Did they do this once with Ivy Tilsley or is my mid wandering?
Lillyivimia
I think it's a bad move, personally - if it's actually going to be a 'ghost'. If it's clear that it's a figment of Jack's mind (as it was with Ailsa in Home and Away), then it may prove a bit of a weepy and may work. Time, as always, will tell.

Maybe Jack's going to die and be reunited with his beloved wife?
smooth_criminal
It worked in Home & Away when Miles was seeing 'Rabbit' for several weeks. It does happen in real life too and soaps are supposed to reflect this so why not?
aneightieskid
QUOTE (smooth_criminal @ Jun 24 2010, 10:45 AM) *
It worked in Home & Away when Miles was seeing 'Rabbit' for several weeks. It does happen in real life too and soaps are supposed to reflect this so why not?

I quite liked the story with Bobbys ghost coming out of the fridge, though that might have only been one episode though?.
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Jun 23 2010, 05:59 PM) *
I think it's a bad move, personally - if it's actually going to be a 'ghost'. If it's clear that it's a figment of Jack's mind (as it was with Ailsa in Home and Away), then it may prove a bit of a weepy and may work. Time, as always, will tell.

Maybe Jack's going to die and be reunited with his beloved wife?

I think he may be reflecting, and also the scriptwriters will want to try and 'weave' Liz Dawn back into the show, in the only way possible for the 50th anniversay and also to co-incide with Bill Tarmey's departure.
Lillyivimia
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Jun 24 2010, 04:34 PM) *
I think he may be reflecting, and also the scriptwriters will want to try and 'weave' Liz Dawn back into the show, in the only way possible for the 50th anniversay and also to co-incide with Bill Tarmey's departure.

It'll be the end of an era, no matter which way we look at it. It'll be quite sad to see Jack finally leave the Street. angry.gif
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Jun 24 2010, 05:36 PM) *
It'll be the end of an era, no matter which way we look at it. It'll be quite sad to see Jack finally leave the Street. angry.gif

It will, but it's understandable. Rumours are around there are a few other 'stalwarts' who may be bowing out next year - trouble is at the moment from what I can gather they are just rumours, but I suppose everyone wants to be around for the 50th anniversary celebrations ... Can't really blame them!
Simey
Apparently all this is bollux, the current producer of Coronation Road has said there will be no returning characters for the 50th celebrations. Characters such as Emily, Rita and Betty have been there for many many years and Ken has been there since day one, so they represent characters from the 50 years of the street.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coron...s-for-50th.html
Lillyivimia
To be honest, I think it's good news that Vera won't be coming back. Much as I love the character, I just don't think 'ghost/spirit' storylines would work very well in Corrie. Mind you, saying that, I didn't think it would work very well in Emmerdale, either, but Jack's 'ghost' appearing beside his grave was actually quite touching

Rumour or not, though, it's funny how many 'visitations beyond the grave' there've been in the various soaps. Even Prisoner almost dabbled, with Zara Moonbeam pretending to have channelled Debbie's restless spirit. cool.gif
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Jun 24 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Rumour or not, though, it's funny how many 'visitations beyond the grave' there've been in the various soaps. Even Prisoner almost dabbled, with Zara Moonbeam pretending to have channelled Debbie's restless spirit. cool.gif

If they're done sensitively then they could work, personally I thought the Zara Moonbeam storyline was ridiculous, couldn't bear it, which most people know and I've said before. No way would Bea have been so susceptible, no way! I never saw the Emmerdale one, and I only vaguely remember the Bobby one in H&A. I'm sure American soaps have dabbled too. I actually reckon the Jack/Vera one could work. I guess we'll have to wait and see whether all of this IS rumour, or not, Corrie are very good at keeping things under wraps, filming several different endings etc.

I think it will also be interesting to see how many of the Corrie team leave the cast once the 50th anniversary celebrations are over.
smooth_criminal
I never found the Zara Moonbeam storyline believable either, and couldn't wait for it to be over. The ending of the storyline (where Bea shot Nola) was the best thing about it for me.
capricornhazel
QUOTE (smooth_criminal @ Jun 27 2010, 02:41 PM) *
I never found the Zara Moonbeam storyline believable either, and couldn't wait for it to be over. The ending of the storyline (where Bea shot Nola) was the best thing about it for me.

clap.gif Well said. Don't get me wrong, I was sorry to see the character of Nola McKenzie depart - as Carole Skinner is a fab Actress and played the role brilliantly, but I definitely wasn't sorry to see the back of Zara Moonbeam.

Funnily enough I saw Ilona Rodgers in a completey different role, and one, frankly I think more suited to her at that was in 'Sara Dane' which also starred Peta Toppano, Amanda Muggleton, Sea Scully, Bary Quin and Jackie Woodburne.
derbydave
Recent pic of Ilona Rodgers aka Zara

Lillyivimia
Thanks for the pic, Dave. It's great to see Ilona looking so good. clap.gif

I first saw Ilona playing Margaret Dunne in Sons and Daughters, but I far prefer her playing Zara Monbeam in Prisoner. Another thing I saw Ilona in before I saw her in Prisoner was in a William Hartnell 'Doctor Who' story entitled "The Sensorites". She is outstandingly good in all three roles. clap.gif
capricornhazel
QUOTE (derbydave @ Jun 27 2010, 09:26 PM) *
Recent pic of Ilona Rodgers aka Zara

Thanks for that! I don't think I'd have recognised Ilona had I not have been told!

QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Jun 27 2010, 09:55 PM) *
I first saw Ilona playing Margaret Dunne in Sons and Daughters[/b]

Yes, I'd forgotten about that! Thanks Carl. :)
Robert
wow and it all started back in June (the rumours that is)..and it was shown last night and I thought it was done really well and made me cry anyway..here is the jack scenes if anybody missed it with Vera coming back

http://youtu.be/g4rZLPLfnSk

it's certainly no Zara Moonbeam affair
Lillyivimia
I haven't watched this yet (as I watch the omnibus on Sunday), but I'm glad to know it's not as unbelievable as I suspected it might be.
Badboy
It was simply wonderful. One of the best episodes of soap I have ever seen. So touching, beautifully written, fantastically acted and under-played throughout the two episodes. Not only that - the episodes were littered with long standing cast members like Rita, Emily, Betty, Ken, Audrey etc... It's rare that we get much of these characters nowadays and it was a joy to see. No show does a send off like Coronation Street do. clap.gif

Really looking forward to the anniversary episodes in a few weeks too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.