Rating 5 V

mattdriver73
post Oct 17 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #151

Group Icon

Group: Inmates
Member No.: 222

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Oct 17 2018, 08:28 PM) *
Same day's. In the early and mid 1980s, TSW, Grampian, STV, Thames and Anglia all screened the episodes that the rest screened at 7pm Tues and Thurs at 5.15pm on Mon and Tues. so STV being 110 minutes ahead of the rest was nothing new.

Thats interesting as most times when an ITV region opted out of a network programme they would show it at a later time usually recording the network showing. With Emmerdale I assume the other regions would have been sent copies of Emmerdale in advance or would YTV have aired the episodes for the other regions if that was possible.

No way today would STV be allowed to air Emmerdale before the rest of ITV. Plot details woiuld be all over social media and some people would upload episodes onto the net before the ITV airing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Oct 17 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #152

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,830

QUOTE (mattdriver73 @ Oct 17 2018, 09:02 PM) *
Thats interesting as most times when an ITV region opted out of a network programme they would show it at a later time usually recording the network showing. With Emmerdale I assume the other regions would have been sent copies of Emmerdale in advance or would YTV have aired the episodes for the other regions if that was possible.

No way today would STV be allowed to air Emmerdale before the rest of ITV. Plot details woiuld be all over social media and some people would upload episodes onto the net before the ITV airing.

Crossroads was always regionally screened during the majority of its run. In the early 80s Tyne Tees has it at 6.02pm, Granada at 6.05pm and YTV at 6.35pm. All screened the same episode on the same night though. Later TT moved it to 6.35pm but they were always around 30 seconds ahead of it behind YTV. I’m guessing that Central (with Crossroads) and YTV with Emmerdale must have supplied the regions (Emmerdale - the non Tues and Thurs 7pm regions) with the episodes sometime before transmission and they then played them how they wanted. At 5.15pm it’s likely that each region played their own Emmerdale as some regions had a birthday slot just before it and some didn’t.
It would never happen today - as wouldn’t the varied times of H&A the regions used - 5.10pm / 6pm / 6.35pm.

TSW even had Carson’s Law at 1835-1930 every Tuesday while Emmerdale and Crossroads occupied the 1715 slot. Eventually Emmerdale was moved to 1900 and was replaced by The Young Doctors at 1715. Strange scheduling indeed!!!
I can’t think of any TSW made programme that ever made it to prime time ITV though. The only thing that ever managed to air nationally was their daytime That’s My Dog gameshow.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 19 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #153

Group Icon

Member No.: 165

QUOTE (mattdriver73 @ Sep 14 2018, 09:28 PM) *
I think High Road had always been popular in the afternoon and the fact that almost all regions bought it back within a couple of months is evidence of that. Central aired it right up until 2002 a year before it ended. They only removed it due to the reduction in regional slots.

Anyone know how often Central were showing High Road at this point and how far behind the STV episodes they were? STV had kind of gone back to the very early format of the show taking Summer breaks, and all of the episodes had been made in one go in 2000. So depending on Central's frequency, they could've been very close to STV pace. I am assuming they didn't overtake STV and reach the end?

+Quote Post
Jez
post Oct 20 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #154

Group Icon

Member No.: 21,036

No idea how far behind STV they were but think they showed 1 episode a week by then.

+Quote Post
mattdriver73
post Oct 20 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #155

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Oct 20 2018, 09:19 PM) *
No idea how far behind STV they were but think they showed 1 episode a week by then.

I lived in the Central region and they showed one episode a week from the end of the network showings in 1993 to mid 2002. They must have been close to STV by 2002 as STV were rationing the episodes left by adding summer breaks. Its a shame Central couldnt have aired the remainder of the series but afternoon regional slots were being axed in 2002.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Oct 21 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #156

Group Icon

Depending on how many longer than usual gaps between episodes Central had, they could easily have been very close to the STV stage.

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Dec 1 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #157

Group Icon

Member No.: 20,547

Prisoner episode being shown on Channel 3 North East in 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqJZGDgCLE

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 1 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #158

Group Icon

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 1 2018, 02:09 PM) *
Prisoner episode being shown on Channel 3 North East in 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSqJZGDgCLE

good find. This is very close to the end of the series. It would have been shown on Yorkshire at the same time.

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Dec 2 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #159

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 1 2018, 07:29 PM) *
good find. This is very close to the end of the series. It would have been shown on Yorkshire at the same time.

Surprised they used the long version of the channel 3 ident as that was usually for news, by this point it had been running for 9 months and I think everyone was sick to death of it, so both Prisoner & Channel 3 North East died at the same time.

+Quote Post
Robert
post Dec 2 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #160

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 2 2018, 10:13 AM) *
Surprised they used the long version of the channel 3 ident

It's very electric - I bet it wasn't cheap to make that?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 3 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #161

Group Icon

Anglia TV late 1992 announcing Prisoner after the break (episode 436). Anglia have a slide just before the commercial break featuring a picture of Lynn Warner who's left Anglia screens over four years before in mid 1988!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1N15D_o6s

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Dec 3 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #162

Group Icon

QUOTE (Robert @ Dec 2 2018, 06:52 PM) *
It's very electric - I bet it wasn't cheap to make that?

They made it in a couple of hours and the music is something they purchased off the shelf, Bruce Gyngell was nothing if not tight with money look at TV-am lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkNO3e4kk

+Quote Post
Robert
post Dec 3 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #163

Sentenced For Prostitution
Group Icon

Group: Screws
Member No.: 102

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:31 AM) *
They made it in a couple of hours

How do you know it took 2 hours?

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Are we looking at the "still" they've used?

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 3 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #164

Group Icon

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Apparently that was the end of episode 225 of Prisoner, just after Vera left. Did YTV often show Prisoner at/after midnight?

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 3 2018, 07:52 PM
Post #165

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 3 2018, 07:44 PM) *
Apparently that was the end of episode 225 of Prisoner, just after Vera left. Did YTV often show Prisoner at/after midnight?

YTV screened around ten episodes after midnight through the whole run.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 3 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #166

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Dec 3 2018, 07:52 PM) *
YTV screened around ten episodes after midnight through the whole run.

Far less than Central who I think screened lots after midnight, sometimes as late as 2.45am!

Amazing to think that Central were up to the start of the final season of Prisoner at the time YTV aired this episode (225).

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 3 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #167

Group Icon

I think YTV attempted to keep the show as close as they could to 11pm / 11.30pm on Mondays with not much deviation. This seemed to work for them. April 1991 had about four episodes shown after midnight as there was networked programming in the earlier slots. Had there been only one week of networked programmes at 11pm / 11.30pm I think YTV wouldn't have bothered with screening it at midnight and later but as there were several weeks with the regular slots already taken, YTV just screened it a little later than viewers were used to.

During Central's complete run, YTV only managed to screen around 169 episodes. Thats two years worth compared to Central's eight that they whizzed through in 4.5 years.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 5 2018, 09:57 PM
Post #168

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Dec 3 2018, 08:06 PM) *
I think YTV attempted to keep the show as close as they could to 11pm / 11.30pm on Mondays with not much deviation. This seemed to work for them. April 1991 had about four episodes shown after midnight as there was networked programming in the earlier slots. Had there been only one week of networked programmes at 11pm / 11.30pm I think YTV wouldn't have bothered with screening it at midnight and later but as there were several weeks with the regular slots already taken, YTV just screened it a little later than viewers were used to.

During Central's complete run, YTV only managed to screen around 169 episodes. Thats two years worth compared to Central's eight that they whizzed through in 4.5 years.

I wonder why Central showed it so fast. When they started in 1987 the series had already finished and they knew they only had 692 episodes and would run out in 4.5 years at the rate of 3 per week. I think Central didn't cancel Prisoner when it was a Bank Holiday whilst other regions did? I was looking at the listings on Who's who in Wentworth and it seems an episode aired on Bank Holidays when other regions that were airing Prisoner on a Monday didn't air one that week.

+Quote Post
Lex82
post Dec 5 2018, 10:20 PM
Post #169

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 5 2018, 09:57 PM) *
I wonder why Central showed it so fast. When they started in 1987 the series had already finished and they knew they only had 692 episodes and would run out in 4.5 years at the rate of 3 per week. I think Central didn't cancel Prisoner when it was a Bank Holiday whilst other regions did? I was looking at the listings on Who's who in Wentworth and it seems an episode aired on Bank Holidays when other regions that were airing Prisoner on a Monday didn't air one that week.

It was probably because the slots were vacant.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 6 2018, 01:25 AM
Post #170

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 5 2018, 09:57 PM) *

Central started at three a week and they had the slots available. None of the others were screening 24 hours seven days a week when they started in April 1987 so there wasn't too much they could use to fill the slots.
In Feb 1988 Granada started 24 hour and both Central and Granada screened the same stuff initially after around 00.30. Granada were only screening on Sun and Mon nights. Central reduced their output by removing Saturdays also down to two a week, This meant that they had the same schedule on Saturdays and all other nights. Their Prisoner episodes were around 150 episodes apart but were in the same slots Sundays and Mondays.
By April 1988 Central resumed the Saturday episode following viewer demand and Central and Granada later went their separate ways with the overnight schedule. By September 1988 Granada were the provider of the night time service for most regions. Central did their own thing and kept at three a week for the remainder of their run.
I think Central would have kept two a week as from Feb 1988 onwards until then end had they not had too many complaints demanding the Saturday night episode be resumed. Had Central stayed at two a week they would have completed it sometime in mid/late 1993.

+Quote Post
steveh31
post Dec 6 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #171

Group Icon

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Dec 6 2018, 01:25 AM) *
Central started at three a week and they had the slots available. None of the others were screening 24 hours seven days a week when they started in April 1987 so there wasn't too much they could use to fill the slots.
In Feb 1988 Granada started 24 hour and both Central and Granada screened the same stuff initially after around 00.30. Granada were only screening on Sun and Mon nights. Central reduced their output by removing Saturdays also down to two a week, This meant that they had the same schedule on Saturdays and all other nights. Their Prisoner episodes were around 150 episodes apart but were in the same slots Sundays and Mondays.
By April 1988 Central resumed the Saturday episode following viewer demand and Central and Granada later went their separate ways with the overnight schedule. By September 1988 Granada were the provider of the night time service for most regions. Central did their own thing and kept at three a week for the remainder of their run.
I think Central would have kept two a week as from Feb 1988 onwards until then end had they not had too many complaints demanding the Saturday night episode be resumed. Had Central stayed at two a week they would have completed it sometime in mid/late 1993.

On 9 August 1986, Yorkshire Television became the first ITV company and the first British terrestrial television station to offer 24-hour broadcasting.[3] This was achieved by simulcasting the satellite station Music Box for a three-month trial, as permitted by the IBA.[4] The all-night simulcasts continued until Friday 2 January 1987 – shortly before Music Box ceased operations as a broadcaster. Thereafter, Yorkshire ran a teletext-based Jobfinder service for one hour after close-down with a Through Till Three strand on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights introduced a few months later.[5]

On 25 April 1987, Central Independent Television began extending its programming hours to 3 am on weeknights and 4 am at weekends, airing its own schedule of films, series and hourly Central News bulletins entitled More Central.

+Quote Post
mattdriver73
post Dec 7 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #172

Group Icon

QUOTE (steveh31 @ Dec 6 2018, 09:28 PM) *
On 9 August 1986, Yorkshire Television became the first ITV company and the first British terrestrial television station to offer 24-hour broadcasting.[3] This was achieved by simulcasting the satellite station Music Box for a three-month trial, as permitted by the IBA.[4] The all-night simulcasts continued until Friday 2 January 1987 �€“ shortly before Music Box ceased operations as a broadcaster. Thereafter, Yorkshire ran a teletext-based Jobfinder service for one hour after close-down with a Through Till Three strand on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights introduced a few months later.[5]

On 25 April 1987, Central Independent Television began extending its programming hours to 3 am on weeknights and 4 am at weekends, airing its own schedule of films, series and hourly Central News bulletins entitled More Central.

Being a Prisoner fan in the Central region was not the best. The widely varying start times became an annoyance. They did not need to air three episodes every week. Other regions with their own nightime services didnt. I think they just thought its popular fans will watch whatever time its on.

I think we must have had over half the series starting after midnight. They were the only region to show a Saturday episode often meaning a start time of 1am or later when there was a networked late film. When the Saturday episode moved to Fridays the regular slot was 00.05. Mondays could be as early as 22.35 or somtimes close to 1am when they aired a film after the news. The most stable slot was Sundays 23.35 after the South Bank Show. Its a shame they did not show two a week like other regions and on nights where it could be aired at 23.05 or 23.35 most weeks.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 7 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #173

Group Icon

QUOTE (mattdriver73 @ Dec 7 2018, 09:37 PM) *
Being a Prisoner fan in the Central region was not the best. The widely varying start times became an annoyance. They did not need to air three episodes every week. Other regions with their own nightime services didnt. I think they just thought its popular fans will watch whatever time its on.

I think we must have had over half the series starting after midnight. They were the only region to show a Saturday episode often meaning a start time of 1am or later when there was a networked late film. When the Saturday episode moved to Fridays the regular slot was 00.05. Mondays could be as early as 22.35 or somtimes close to 1am when they aired a film after the news. The most stable slot was Sundays 23.35 after the South Bank Show. Its a shame they did not show two a week like other regions and on nights where it could be aired at 23.05 or 23.35 most weeks.

Viewers in Central's neighbouring region TVS/Meridian would have probably loved to have had the problem of three episodes a week at probably the most varied start times of any programme ever shown in any region in the UK that Central's Prisoner fans had.
Even with their 18 month lead on Central by starting in Oct 1985, poor old viewers in the South were treated appallingly by their two contractors TVS and Meridian who were screening episodes in 1999 that had been screened just up the road on Central eight years before. And they only had a very brief glimpse of Rita Connors eventually when 1999 arrived before being dropped from Meridian with over 100 hours left to screen.

I think two a week would have been the most sensible for most regions. Saturday was not used by any other region mainly because of the extremely different end times of network programming. I think one Saturday in 1987 had the regions free to do their own things at 22.20 - the earliest start time Central ever had for Prisoner.
Sundays were better as 23.30ish was usually pretty stable after The South Bank Show and most smaller regions could use that hour for Prisoner before they joined Granada's nighttime service.
Mondays were pretty good as there was rarely any networked stuff after the News at Ten so regions could use 22.35/23.05/23/35 with little interference.
Tuesdays usually had YTV and Central offering hour long networked documentaries at 22.40 (Viewpoint, Network First, First Tuesday) allowing a regular 23.40 slot which was again convenient for those with an hour free before joining Granada.
Wednesdays were never used until the mid 1990s as most Wednesdays Thames provided the network with Midweek Sports Special from 22.35 until midnight and on weeks where there was no sport Thames provided the network with a film. when Carlton took over Thames they had no interest in providing networked sport so some regions did their own regional (or shared in the case of Granada and Border) sport shows of varying durations 60-90 minutes. Not much space for Prisoner really. Ulster , Westcountry and HTV ran a few episodes on Wednesdays but these runs were only for around three months before being discontinued.
Thursdays were a flexible night as like Mondays there was nothing networked after News at Ten. Again many regions used Thursdays. I think sometime during 1994 Thursday nights set the record with the most regions screening an episode on the same night (STV, Tyne Tees, Border, Granada, YTV, Anglia, HTV, Westcountry, Meridian, Channel).
Friday was occasionally used by some regions however most preferred US output or a film. Central and Ulster managed to successfully fit their Prisoner episodes in after their live talkshows Central Weekend and Kelly. STV had a couple of Fridays night runs too. Border started the series on Fridays for around three months before moving it and never using Fridays again.
In London, there was no chance that Prisoner would be screened on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday as LWT had the reins then and did not screen Thames' regional shows. Imports were solely screened by Thames or LWT never shared between the two.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 8 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #174

Group Icon

HTV certainly screened Prisoner on a Tuesday and/or Thursday for most of the run. They did show it on a few Wednesdays as you say and for a while in 1994/1995 it was on a Sunday regularly. It was on 3 times a week for a long period during 1994 (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) In late 1995 it was generally twice a week but Sunday and Tuesday were used for a while. Then it was back to Tuesday and Thursday. I don't remember HTV showing Priosner much on a Monday.

Which other regions used a Sunday night slot apart from Central and HTV? I think when Central repeated Prisoner a Sunday only was used?

There is a video on You Tube of fans protesting outside Central studios in 1991 when Prisoner came to an end. It certainly had a loyal following in that region, which is probably why Central started a repeat run.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 8 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #175

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 8 2018, 07:34 PM) *
HTV certainly screened Prisoner on a Tuesday and/or Thursday for most of the run. They did show it on a few Wednesdays as you say and for a while in 1994/1995 it was on a Sunday regularly. It was on 3 times a week for a long period during 1994 (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) In late 1995 it was generally twice a week but Sunday and Tuesday was used for a while.

Which other regions used a Sunday night slot apart from Central and HTV? I think when Central repeated Prisoner a Sunday only was used?

There is a video on You Tube of fans protesting outside Central studios in 1991 when Prisoner came to an end. It certainly had a loyal following in that region, which is probably why Central started a repeat run.

Over the years Sundays were used by Anglia, Border, Central, Grampian, Granada, HTV, Tyne Tees, UTV, Westcountry. STV also screened a single episode on a Sunday night early in it's run.

HTV used Mondays at the start in 1988 and 1989. Indeed the first episode was on a Monday night in August 1988.

+Quote Post
Jez
post Dec 8 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #176

Group Icon

No YTV or Meridian on a Sunday night then. I think YTV only ever screened on a Monday and Thursday.

When Central started their repeat run which was the furthest behind region and were Central ever close to catching them up and possibly overtaking? Im thinking STV, Westcountry and Ulster would have been furthest behind at the time?

QUOTE (wentworthwarrior @ Dec 8 2018, 07:41 PM) *
HTV used Mondays at the start in 1988 and 1989. Indeed the first episode was on a Monday night in August 1988.

I never knew that. I didn't start watching much later on in the run on HTV and remember it was Sunday Tuesday or Thursday the most.

+Quote Post
wentworthwarrior
post Dec 8 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #177

Group Icon

QUOTE (Jez @ Dec 8 2018, 07:43 PM) *
No YTV or Meridian on a Sunday night then. I think YTV only ever screened on a Monday and Thursday.

When Central started their repeat run which was the furthest behind region and were Central ever close to catching them up and possibly overtaking? Im thinking STV, Westcountry and Ulster would have been furthest behind at the time?

YTV were the most consistent of the whole lot. They never moved it from Mondays. They simply added Thursdays on, from 1993.

Ulster were furthest behind at the start of Central's repeat run and were on around ep 160 at the start of 1993. As they were screening one or two a week thereafter, they increased their lead on Central's repeats.

Mondays were a popular night in early 1989 with Anglia, Border, Central, Grampian, Granada, HTV, STV, TSW and YTV accommodating the show. At the time Thames, TVS, Channel and Tyne Tees were all screening it weekly on Thursdays. Ulster used the Monday night slot in early 1989 to screen Carson's Law which had been aired on Tuesdays and Thursdays on Network 10 at 19.30 just before Prisoner.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 12:58 PM