Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tram Disaster In Coronation Street!
Wentworth Forum > Escapees > Other Soaps > Coronation Street
Darren24
http://www.corrieblog.tv/2010/07/coronation_50th.html

This is gonna be great viewing so dramatic to celebrate the shows 50 years!
Anybody any ideas on whos gonna get the chop!! I know Ashley and Claire have been axed! Maybe they'll be caught under the tram! blink.gif
Lillyivimia
I've no idea who's for the chop, but it's a dead cert that a few of them will meet their maker in this storyline. I'm not entirely sure it's a good way of 'celebrating' the soap, though, as it might have been nice to have a 'feel good' episode for a change. There's just too much death and general negativity in soaps today. It's all become way too cynical, I think. Still, that's just me ... biggrin.gif
Darren24
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Jul 10 2010, 06:20 PM) *
I've no idea who's for the chop, but it's a dead cert that a few of them will meet their maker in this storyline. I'm not entirely sure it's a good way of 'celebrating' the soap, though, as it might have been nice to have a 'feel good' episode for a change. There's just too much death and general negativity in soaps today. It's all become way too cynical, I think. Still, that's just me ... biggrin.gif

I think they went for this story for the 'shock factor' !! It will pull in a lot more viewers than normal and they wanted the 50th to go with a bang!!!! It's a good way to get rid of some of the dull characters!!! I agree there is a lot of death and negativity but this is what makes people watch!!
Badboy
If done well, this could be good. Shame Hilda's not returning tho ! :)
chucky
Only coronation street would have "a tram disaster" Chortle.gif
capricornhazel
Vicky Binns who plays Molly Dobbs is leaving, as is Bill Tarmey who plays Jack Duckworth so those are possibles.

Corrie has an affinity with trams - for those of us old enough to remember ... who can forget evil Alan Bradley being hit and killed by a tram in Blackpool after terrorising poor Rita!
Simey
This latest storyline sounds familiar....

In 1967 a train crashed off the track in front of the Corner Shop, with a lot of structual damage to the viaduct, but only one death (a minor character). Viewers had been left wondering if street busybody Ena Sharples has been left for dead under the rubble, but Ena and her hairnet were unharmed.
Mark
How are they going to do it when the tram track at the end of the street is fake? Or it was in the old credits anyway, if done well, like the corner shop explosion by mad maya a few years back, which was shocking, it should be fab! It beats the digging up of the cobbles storyline when they were 40 even though it was live.
Lillyivimia
I think it has the potential for a good storyline, don't get me wrong ... I just think as a 'celebration' of the soap's 50th year, the producers may have been better concentrating on the positives of life rather than its negatives. There's enough gloom and doom on TV without adding to it on a day that's meant to be a celebration of all that went before. Comedy is the key here, I think. If characters are to leave, then they should just be allowed to LEAVE. No deaths, no mass slaughter, no bloodied bodies unrecognised beneath the wheels of a tram, etc. Personally - and I realise this is a very personal point of view (unshared, as yet) - but, personally, I'd just like a real, good old-fashioned feel-good episode on the day in question and leave the tram diaster for another time. :)
Robert
It does seem a bit far fetched....but its the kind of thing I expected. If it is anything like the gun siege and explosion of underworld then it will be highly dissapointing lol
NumberSix
Ooooh! Sounds like it's the revenge of Alan Bradley from beyond the grave! Chortle.gif
Badboy
WOW !!! can't wait for this week's epsiodes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbshMdGra2w
capricornhazel
Four funerals and a wedding ...!

Let's have a guess who you personally think will be killed in the disaster. Here are my choices:

1. Molly Dobbs
2. Ashley Peacock
3. John Stape
4. Jim McDonald

... and if the wedding actually goes ahead it will be amazing!!!
Badboy
Ooh... i think Molly and Ashley are definite for the chop. i think the 3rd will be Charlotte and I'm stumped for the 4th... got a feeling it will be a shocker. Just hope it's not Rita after looking at that video !!!
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Badboy @ Dec 5 2010, 08:27 PM) *
Ooh... i think Molly and Ashley are definite for the chop. i think the 3rd will be Charlotte and I'm stumped for the 4th... got a feeling it will be a shocker. Just hope it's not Rita after looking at that video !!!

My reason for choosing Jim McDonald is because Beverley Callard who plays Liz is also leaving the show, so, I reckon she'll be so upset by Jim's demise she'll go off to Spain to live with her other son Andy, plus that's where Liz is 'at the moment' if you heard the storyline the other day. That's my logic, and I'm probably WAY off beam!!!! Chortle.gif
Badboy
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Dec 5 2010, 08:44 PM) *
My reason for choosing Jim McDonald is because Beverley Callard who plays Liz is also leaving the show, so, I reckon she'll be so upset by Jim's demise she'll go off to Spain to live with her other son Andy, plus that's where Liz is 'at the moment' if you heard the storyline the other day. That's my logic, and I'm probably WAY off beam!!!! Chortle.gif

I think you may be on to something there though Hazel. I know that Charlie Lawson said recently that he hoped he would be killed off as then he wouldn't get keeping called back in to the show.
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Badboy @ Dec 5 2010, 10:53 PM) *
I think you may be on to something there though Hazel. I know that Charlie Lawson said recently that he hoped he would be killed off as then he wouldn't get keeping called back in to the show.

This is gonna be a terrific week and that's for sure!
Lillyivimia
I'm hoping no one dies. I really hate it when characters are axed from a show and are bumped off in as grisly a manner as possible (I know, I know --- I shouldn't be watching soaps, if I feel that way - LOL). I know it's unrealistic that no one's going to meet their makers in these latest episodes, but I actually think that would be the better end result of these special anniversary episodes. Death and brutal terminations are very much the order of the day in modern soaps and death is no longer being treated as a tragedy ... it's become way too pedestrian for that. Death is churned out with factory-like regularity and thus it no longer holds the shock value it once did.
NumberSix
Jim McDonald is still in Coronation Street??

I'll think twice before I use those trams when I'm back in Manchester again!
maw1
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Dec 6 2010, 02:47 PM) *
I'm hoping no one dies. I really hate it when characters are axed from a show and are bumped off in as grisly a manner as possible (I know, I know --- I shouldn't be watching soaps, if I feel that way - LOL). I know it's unrealistic that no one's going to meet their makers in these latest episodes, but I actually think that would be the better end result of these special anniversary episodes. Death and brutal terminations are very much the order of the day in modern soaps and death is no longer being treated as a tragedy ... it's become way too pedestrian for that. Death is churned out with factory-like regularity and thus it no longer holds the shock value it once did.

Interesting point, although if you look at our very own Prisoner, we had Sally Lee, Bea's hubby (he of the ever changing name), Vera's mum, Bill Jackson, Gary Doyle, Bernie, Doug Parker, Bert Warren and Franky - 9 in 20 episodes or just 10 weeks!! Chortle.gif
Ruth Ballinger
I really hope little Jack isn't dead! Or poor Rita.
Lillyivimia
QUOTE (maw1 @ Dec 6 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Interesting point, although if you look at our very own Prisoner, we had Sally Lee, Bea's hubby (he of the ever changing name), Vera's mum, Bill Jackson, Gary Doyle, Bernie, Doug Parker, Bert Warren and Franky - 9 in 20 episodes or just 10 weeks!! Chortle.gif

Very true. Out of these deaths, though, I'd say only Franky and Bill (with the possible inclusion of Sally Lee) may have been regarded as major characters by the watching public and it's only these three whose deaths I felt were largely wasted. I will concede, though, that Bill's death made for very dramatic watching. The same could very probably be said for Franky Doyle's being shot down by the policeman.

These deaths were still largely contrived to create a 'shock' factor, but in 1979 (when these sorts of things were still a rarity on TV) it was still something of a novelty and therefore made more of an impression.

The thing is, though, that all these deaths (with the exception of Franky Doyle) would have been planned as part of the storylines long before they even made the screen. Their deaths formed a vital part of the dramatic storytelling and weren't manufactured because an actor had decided to leave or was about to be axed (again, with the exception of Franky). It's the needless slaughter of departing characters that depresses me. As soon as we hear on the grapevine that a character's about to leave a soap, the cynic in us immediately wonders how he/she is going to meet his/her end. Sometimes - ever so rarely - one or two characters do make it out alive.

I'm probably being way too harsh here (it's only TV, after all), but I do tend to get emotionally involved in what I watch and sometimes when a character bites the dudt, it's like watching an old friend die. Never easy and always depressing.
capricornhazel
Gripping viewing last night.

The tram coming off the viaduct was a brilliant piece of special effects - especially watched in HD!!
Robert
a lot of people on digital spy say the effects were rubbish but i thought it was great and i even felt sorry for Molly..along with everyone else...apparently the tram driver survives..but expect more things to happen all week (apparently)
Although its a shame to celebrate 50 years with death and sadness it is still gripping viewing I think
Vinigar Tits
I hope they bring back Hilda Ogden or one of the other old vetrans for the live ep
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Robert @ Dec 7 2010, 04:23 PM) *
a lot of people on digital spy say the effects were rubbish but i thought it was great and i even felt sorry for Molly..along with everyone else...apparently the tram driver survives..but expect more things to happen all week (apparently)
Although its a shame to celebrate 50 years with death and sadness it is still gripping viewing I think

Trouble is, because of all the advanced media hype, I think it builds some people's expectations into something unrealistic.
Lillyivimia
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Dec 7 2010, 05:13 PM) *
Trouble is, because of all the advanced media hype, I think it builds some people's expectations into something unrealistic.

Which is kind of the point I was making in my earlier post. The bigger and more dramatic the deaths and stunts, etc, the more the public demands. The mundane no longer satisfies and more and more is needed to pull in the viewers. Give it a decade or so and the only thing that will satisfy is an out-and-out slaughter. wink.gif
Ruth Ballinger
Last night's episodes were terrific. I am so glad it looks like Ashley is going to die. I can't stand him. Or his wife, Clare. Be glad to see the back of them.

The only complaint I have about last night's episodes was the stuff with Gary Windass and his post traumatic stress. I didn't care about it, and took me out of the moment. I was far more interested in what was going on outside.
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Nola McKenzie @ Dec 9 2010, 04:44 PM) *
Last night's episodes were terrific. I am so glad it looks like Ashley is going to die. I can't stand him. Or his wife, Clare. Be glad to see the back of them.

The only complaint I have about last night's episodes was the stuff with Gary Windass and his post traumatic stress. I didn't care about it, and took me out of the moment. I was far more interested in what was going on outside.

I think you'll find Ashley died in last night's episode. Looking forward to the 50th Anniversary live episode tonight .. In fact very shortly!
capricornhazel
Well, Peter Barlow dying that was a shock! So it's goodbye to Molly, Ashley & Peter. If Charlotte is still alive, I wondre who No.4 is? Sunita maybe?

Sally now knows Kevin is baby Jack's Dad ..... Happy Chrimbo!!
Lillyivimia
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Dec 9 2010, 09:06 PM) *
Well, Peter Barlow dying that was a shock! So it's goodbye to Molly, Ashley & Peter. If Charlotte is still alive, I wondre who No.4 is? Sunita maybe?

Sally now knows Kevin is baby Jack's Dad ..... Happy Chrimbo!!

Hmmm - not much point me watching the Corrie Omnibus, then. wink.gif
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Lillyivimia @ Dec 9 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Hmmm - not much point me watching the Corrie Omnibus, then. wink.gif

Well, it would've been reported in the media and on every TV show by breakfast time. rolleyes.gif
Ruth Ballinger
Is Peter definitely dead?
maw1
Oh no Carl - how can you have *not* watched the live episode and be waiting for the omnibus??!

I haven't watched Corrie for about three years until this week - interesting as a relative "newbie" that the three deaths were obvious to me! I predict Rita will be pulled clear from a sea of gobstoppers and bon bons any episode now.

So annoyed that they didn't do a live cut to the cast post-episode, but guess it might shatter the illusion for those who think Corrie is real and that it really all happened Chortle.gif
Badboy
Been a fantastic week so far.... and I wouldn't be so sure about Peter Barlow if i were you.... wink.gif

Fantastic performances tonight all round, but especially Jane Danson. Can't say that i ever really took much notice of her until tonight, by my that girl gave it some !
Lillyivimia
QUOTE (maw1 @ Dec 9 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Oh no Carl - how can you have *not* watched the live episode and be waiting for the omnibus??!

Yeah, in retrospect it was a bad idea (especially now that Mighty Mouth Hazel has told all Chortle.gif ), but I always watch the omnibus of Corrie and Eastenders, just to lessen the daily load of my Neighbours, Home and Away, Hololyoaks and Emmerdale fix. Also, I hadn't seen the rest of this week's episodes and only learnt that today's episode was the live one when I looked at my TV Guide after Emmerdale. Having not seen what had already happened this week, I decided to give it a miss until Saturday ... bad choice, as it turned out.

Still, overall it looks as if most of you enjoyed it ... so that's good. biggrin.gif
Robert
an amazing live epsiode! Some really great acting I thought!..I didn't spot any major mistakes either..Imagine if Prisoner had done a LIVE episode
capricornhazel
So, if Peter survives, I'm getting confused now, who I wonder if the fourth demise? We've had Ashley, Charlotte and Molly - I've not missed anyone have I?
maw1
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Dec 11 2010, 07:22 AM) *
So, if Peter survives, I'm getting confused now, who I wonder if the fourth demise? We've had Ashley, Charlotte and Molly - I've not missed anyone have I?

Maybe Corrie's getting all symbolic and it's the death of the Websters' marriage?

Or I'm sure I heard one of the emergency services guys say they'd found somebody dead in a car??
smooth_criminal
I'll feel a bit cheated if the fourth death was the bloke in the car - especially as the papers told us about Molly, Ashley and Charlotte dying several weeks ago, although I think this probably is the case or they wouldn't have bothered mentioning it.
Mark
Finally got round to watching the tram crash episode and it was fab!
capricornhazel
QUOTE (maw1 @ Dec 11 2010, 08:55 AM) *
Maybe Corrie's getting all symbolic and it's the death of the Websters' marriage?

Or I'm sure I heard one of the emergency services guys say they'd found somebody dead in a car??

The emergency services guys did say that, but, I was sincerely hoping one of the irritating characters would go. People like Mary, Julie, Sally, Rosie, Norris, Roy, Hayley ... but no such luck!!!
Robert
as the tagline was "four funerals and a wedding" you wouldn't think the man in the car who died would have his funeral shown on it?
capricornhazel
QUOTE (Robert @ Dec 11 2010, 05:02 PM) *
as the tagline was "four funerals and a wedding" you wouldn't think the man in the car who died would have his funeral shown on it?

Exactly, but, I guess Peter, Sunita and the Stape baby are still in hospital so there's time yet ...

Of course Tyrone could kill Kevin when he finds out who the Father of baby Jack is!!! Chortle.gif
smooth_criminal
QUOTE (capricornhazel @ Dec 11 2010, 02:12 PM) *
The emergency services guys did say that, but, I was sincerely hoping one of the irritating characters would go. People like Mary, Julie, Sally, Rosie, Norris, Roy, Hayley ... but no such luck!!!

I agree on Mary and Julie, but Sally has to stay for the fallout of Kevin's affair with Molly. Norris, Roy & Hayley however are absolute Corrie legends and I would have been furious if they had got rid of any of those.
capricornhazel
QUOTE (smooth_criminal @ Dec 12 2010, 05:33 PM) *
I agree on Mary and Julie, but Sally has to stay for the fallout of Kevin's affair with Molly. Norris, Roy & Hayley however are absolute Corrie legends and I would have been furious if they had got rid of any of those.

Oh I totally realise Norris, Roy and Hayley have a plethora of fans, but for me, they are too dithery - a bit like 21st century Mavis & Derek's - couldn't stand those two either.

Can you just imagine, the pouting and whinging we're gonna be in for from Rosie Webster when she finds out she has a half-brother. Ugh!
Mark
It made me laugh on Thursday night when Dot and Kat are in the launderette and Kat asks Dot what she's doing that night, Dot tells her that she's going home to share a bag of marshmallows with Jim and watch corrie as she never misses it! Well done with the mention eastenders!
Badboy
QUOTE (Mark @ Dec 12 2010, 08:32 PM) *
It made me laugh on Thursday night when Dot and Kat are in the launderette and Kat asks Dot what she's doing that night, Dot tells her that she's going home to share a bag of marshmallows with Jim and watch corrie as she never misses it! Well done with the mention eastenders!

That episode of EE was written by Daran Little so I kind of expected something. Good of the BBC to allow it !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.